Get Classic Start Menu Back in Windows 7 Using CWSM
There is no doubt, Windows 7 comes with lots of new features but its also true that some important functionality have been removed from Windows 7 like good old Classic start menu.
Classic start menu was very useful and easy to use but for some unknown reasons, Microsoft has removed it from Windows 7. Now if you want to get it back, you'll need to take help of 3rd party software.
Today we are sharing a freeware "Classic Windows Start Menu" which can provide a similar Classic start menu in Windows 7. Following is a screenshot of CWSM in action:
As you can see, it looks very similar to Classic start menu. The most impressive thing about CWSM is that it uses Aero engine to render its interface so you get a glassy start menu which looks great.
Its a portable utility so you don't need to install it. You can also customize it for your needs. For example, you can modify the text of menus, change background image, change left-side logo, change icons, etc. You can do all these things by modifying files present in its folder.
You can also make it more glassy by modifying "strings.xml" file and set "<MENU BACKGROUND PRESENT>Yes</>" to "<MENU BACKGROUND PRESENT>No</>":
Once you do it, exit from CWSM by right-click on Start ORB (Start button) and click on "Yes" button in confirmation dialog box. Then run cwsm.exe again. Now it'll look as following:
There are also some BMP files in its folder: logoffback.bmp, ribbon.bmp, shutdownback.bmp which can be modified to change Log off dialog box, left-side logo and Shutdown dialog box background images respectively.
You can download it using following link:
NOTE: It also works in Windows XP and Vista.
Thanks to our active reader "Bryan" for sharing this utility via email...
NOTE: You can also check other free tools to get Classic Start Menu back in Windows 7 at following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Enable Direct2D & DirectWrite Hardware Acceleration in Mozilla Firefox?
- Mozilla Firefox “about:support” Page Shows Modified Preferences, Installed Extensions and Other Details in Single Place
- Add “Change Sound”, “Change Cursor”, “System Properties” and Other Useful Shortcuts in Windows Vista and Later Desktop Context Menu
- How to Fix Annoying Folder View Type Change Problem in Windows
- Add “Open with Resource Hacker” Option in EXE, DLL, CPL, OCX and SCR Files Context Menu
- [Solution] .REG Registry Files Always Open with Notepad in Windows