Do you remember the good old days of Windows XP when you used to customize Windows XP setup ISO using nLite? nLite is one of the best and most popular Windows installation customization software which allows you to remove unwanted components from Windows setup, integrate device drivers, hotfixes and service packs in Windows setup and create unattended and bootable setup ISO of Windows OS so that you don't need to enter anything while installing Windows in computers.
With the help of nLite, users were able to decrease the size of setup ISO of Windows by deleting unnecessary Windows features and drivers which indirectly used to make installed Windows faster as less services were running in background.
But nLite was only available for Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. The developer also released a separate version of this software called "vLite" to customize Windows Vista setup ISO.
Interested readers can read more about nLite and vLite at following links:
- nLite: Freeware to Create Unattended Setup ISO of Windows XP
- vLite: Freeware to Create Unattended Setup ISO of Windows Vista
Unfortunately the developer stopped developing nLite and it was never updated to include support for Windows 7 and later versions of Windows OS. In the meantime a few other freeware such as 7Customizer and RT Seven Lite were released by some people to customize Windows 7 setup ISO which provided similar features as nLite.
Now its time to share some good news! Our friend "nuhi" who is the developer of nLite and vLite, has started working on nLite again. He has shared some details that he is developing a tool which will support Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. This may be a new version of nLite or a brand new freeware from him.
Once this new tool is released, users will be able to customize Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 setup ISO to remove unwanted components, slipstream service packs, updates and drivers, include Registry tweaks, create unattended and bootable ISO and much more.
We'll update this page as soon as a public version of this new tool is released, so keep checking this place regularly.
Download Link (coming soon...)
Have you tried nLite in past? What was your experience with this tool? Feel free to share your comments with us...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Is Your PC Ready for Windows 8? Check Yourself Using Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant
- Wi-Host: Freeware to Turn Your Windows PC or Laptop into Wi-Fi Hot Spot to Share Internet Connection
- How to Get Windows 8 Metro Style Start Menu (Charms Bar) with Clock in Windows 7?
- Jumplist Launcher: Create Custom Jumplists in Windows 7
- How to Show Actual Theme Names in Windows 7 Desktop Properties?
- Hidden Thumbnail Switch to Toggle Between Windows 8 Start Screen and Desktop Applications