The Best Method to Remove Ribbon UI from Windows 8/8.1 Explorer
Microsoft's new OS "Windows 8" comes with new Ribbon UI in Windows Explorer. Microsoft has implemented MS Office 2010 style Ribbon in Windows 8 Explorer.
Although the new Ribbon UI was added in Windows 8 Explorer to make users life easier but there are many people who don't like this Ribbon UI and want to get the old Explorer toolbar back.
We have shared 2 methods in past to disable Ribbon UI and get old toolbar back in Windows 8 Explorer:
- How to Disable New Ribbon UI in Windows 8 Explorer?
- [Tip] Get Rid of Windows 8 Explorer Ribbon and Get Classic Toolbar Back
The method given in above mentioned link has one problem. It breaks Paint and WordPad apps in Windows 8 because both apps use Ribbon UI and since we disabled Ribbon UI, both apps stop working after using that method.
Today in this topic, we are going to share another method which completely removes Ribbon UI from Windows 8 Explorer and doesn't break Paint, WordPad or any other app. Its absolutely safe to use and 100% working method.
So without wasting time, lets start the tutorial:
1. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Windows\System32 folder. Here we are assuming that Windows 8 is installed in C: drive in your computer. If you installed Windows 8 in any other partition, replace C: drive with the correct drive letter.
2. Now look for a file ExplorerFrame.dll. Once you find the file, copy it to some other location for example on your Desktop.
3. Now we'll need to edit this DLL file in our favorite tool Resource Hacker which can be found here.
4. Once you open this DLL file in Resource Hacker, go to:
UIFILE -> EXPLORER_RIBBON -> 1033
Here 1033 is language code for English. It might differ if you are using Windows 8 in a different language.
5. Now we'll need to delete EXPLORER_RIBBON key. Right-click on 1033 key and select "Delete Resource" option. It'll immediately delete the key.
6. Save the file and close Resource Hacker window.
7. Now we'll need to replace default ExplorerFrame.dll file present in System32 folder with this new modified file. Again go to C:\Windows\System32 folder and take ownership of ExplorerFrame.dll file. You can use any of following 2 methods to take ownership:
- How to Add "Take Ownership" Option to File or Folder Context Menu in Windows?
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
8. Once you take ownership of the file, rename the original "ExplorerFrame.dll" file to any other name such as ExplorerFrame_bak.dll or ExplorerFrame.old or any other name and then copy new modified ExplorerFrame.dll file from Desktop to "System32" folder.
9. That's it. Restart your system and get ready to enjoy old toolbar in Windows 8 Explorer without the Ribbon.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Tip] How to Show More Apps with Small Icons in Windows 8.1 Apps Screen
- [FAQ] All About Rooting Android Mobile Phones and Tablets
- Start Killer: Free Software to Remove Start Button (ORB) from Windows Taskbar
- How to Enable Missing Hibernate Option in Windows 8 Power Menu?
- How to Add “God Mode” Icon in Control Panel and My Computer in Windows 7 and Later?
- How to Access Additional Hidden Regional Wallpapers in Windows 7?