Windows 10 November Update (Version 1511) Available for Download
Finally the much awaited and the first major update for Microsoft's latest operating system Windows 10 is now available for download and install. Since a few months there were news that Microsoft is going to release a big update to Windows 10 in November. We also told you about it on our social networks pages.
Today Microsoft has released the big update to Windows 10 users which comes with lots of changes, improvements and UI enhancements. The update download size is about 3 GB.
This update was initially referred as Threshold 2 (or R2), Fall update, Fall refresh, Windows 10.1, Windows 10 version 1511, etc by many people and bloggers. But Microsoft has officially named it as Windows 10 November update, simple and easy to understand as always. You can also consider it as the first Service Pack (SP1) for Windows 10 although Microsoft is never going to label it as SP1 or never going to release any Service Pack for any Windows version in future as they have switched to the new Windows as a service mechanism.
If you are curious to know, this is the same Windows 10 build 10586 which was recently released to Windows Insiders group.
What's New in Windows 10 November Update?
This November update brings many improvements which are mainly focused on performance, Cortana assistance and Microsoft Edge web browser. It also comes with fixes for several bugs and problems reported by Windows 10 users.
Along with these improvements following are some major changes and new features in this November update:
- Option to get colored titlebars has been added in Settings app and now you can now get rid of White titlebars (Check this)
- You can now show more tiles on Start Menu using new options in Settings app
- New option to disable background image on Login Screen has been added in Settings app (Check this)
- All classic options have been restored in Themes page in Personalization window
- You can now set Windows Spotlight as Lock Screen background
- You can now install modern apps in a different location other than C: drive using new option in Settings app
- New activation mechanism which allows you to use Windows 7/8.1 product key to install and activate Windows 10 (Read more)
- Addition of Skype messaging, calling and video capabilities
- Many improvements to built-in modern apps
- Cortana now works for local user accounts as well
- Lots of UI changes such as modified context menus in Start, Taskbar and new icons (Check this)
Above are only a few major changes and new features present in this update. To read the full changelog, just check out the changes list mentioned in following exclusive topic:
Also check out our exclusive review of Windows 10 November Update:
How to Download and Install Windows 10 November Update?
If you are already using Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10586, you need to do nothing. You are already using this new update.
If you are using Windows 10 RTM build 10240 which was released to public in July, just check for new updates in Windows Update and it'll automatically detect the new update and will install it for you. If you can't see the new update, wait for a few hours or a day and it'll become available in your region.
If you can't see November Update on Windows Update, check out following topic to fix the issue:
If you are using Windows 7/8/8.1, you can upgrade directly to Windows 10 November Update build using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool:
You can also directly download full offline ISO files of Windows 10 November Update build using following topic:
The ISO files and Media Creation Tool will also come handy for people who want to perform clean installation of Windows 10 November Update build.
PS: This update will increase the version number of Windows 10 from version 10.0 to version 1511 (i.e. November (11th month) update released in 2015). You can check the version number using winver command in RUN dialog box.
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- AutoRun Disabler: Free Portable Utility to Disable Autorun Functionality in Windows
- [FIX] WinRAR Causes Wide Context Menu Problem in Windows
- Google Toolbar Discontinued for Mozilla Firefox 5.0 and Newer Versions
- [Windows 10 Tip] Change Downloads Folder Location in Microsoft Edge Browser
- True Burner: Another Free CD / DVD Burning and Copying Software
- Microsoft Office 2010 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)