ViStart: Best Free Start Menu Alternative for Windows
We know that Windows Vista and Windows 7 come with a new Start menu which is easy to use and full of new features such as instant search, etc. Unfortunately Microsoft has removed this Start Menu from Windows 8.
If you have upgraded to Windows 8 or later version and want to get Start Menu back, this topic will help you.
And if you are still using Windows XP and don't want to upgrade to Windows Vista or Windows 7 but want to have the same Start Menu functionality in XP, then this topic will also help you.
Today in this topic, we are going to share a free software "ViStart" which can bring back Windows Vista or Windows 7 style Start Menu to Windows XP, Windows 8 and later Windows versions.
ViStart is an excellent piece of software created by our friend "Lee Matthew Chantrey" which can be considered as Windows Vista and Windows 7 Start menu clone for Windows XP, Windows 8 and later. It integrates itself into Windows Explorer perfectly. It replaces the default Windows Start Menu and brings the new Windows Vista and 7 style Start Menu to Windows XP and later.
It indexes all program files and personal files, so you can get the same instant search results as of Windows Vista and Windows 7, even better than Vista.
ViStart also comes with skin support, so you can create your own ViStart skins and can change its look.
- Provides original features of Windows 7 Start Menu in Windows XP and later
- Boots directly to Windows 8 Desktop, bypasses Metro Start Screen
- Disables Charms Bar and Hot Corners in Windows 8 and later
- Advanced search (includes Metro apps and displays them in a separate category)
- Search and start Metro apps directly from Start Menu
- Pin Metro apps to Start Menu
- Switch button in Start Menu to switch to Start Screen
- Ability to customize Start button
- Skin support
You can download it using following link:
NOTE: When you run ViStart setup, it tries to install two 3rd party programs "Sweet Packs" and "RegClean Pro" bundled with it. You can skip the installation of these extra programs by clicking on the "Decline" button when the setup wizard asks you to install the bundled programs.
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- WinThunder: Get Quick Access to Weather, Favorite Shortcuts, Files, Folders, Apps in Windows 7 System Tray
- How to Change or Customize Start Screen Background, Start Menu and Start Button in Windows 8?
- How to Activate Hidden Side Panel Charm Using Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 8 Developer Preview?
- Download Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Download Classic Shell Skin to Get Windows 7 Look-Like Start Menu and Start Button in Windows 8
- [Review] What’s New in Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview?