This article has been created and shared by our reader "Sanjay Namdeo".
At the time of Windows 8.1 development and testing, AskVG shared some interesting information about a hidden secret feature "Slide to Shutdown" present in Windows 8.1.
This feature allows you to quickly shutdown Windows 8.1 computer using a simple slide to bottom trick. But this trick is hidden in Windows 8.1 and users can't access it directly.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to share an easy to use method to create a direct shortcut of "Slide to Shutdown" feature. You can put this shortcut on Desktop, Quick Launch bar or pin it to Taskbar or Start Screen for quick and easy access.
Just follow the below steps to pin "Slide to Shutdown" button/tile to Windows 8.1 Start Screen:
1. First of all open Windows Explorer or This PC window and navigate to following folder:
2. There you will see an executable file with the name as SlideToShutDown.exe.
3. Right click on this file and select "Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)" option.
4. You'll see a new shortcut on desktop named as "SlideToShutDown.exe - Shortcut". Rename it to "Shut Down" or any desired name.
5. Now right click on the shortcut and select Properties. It'll open "Properties" windows for the shortcut.
6. On the "Shortcut" tab, click on "Change Icon" button and change its icon to the correct Shut Down icon. You can set any desired icon for the shortcut.
7. Now cut this shortcut from desktop and paste it into following folder:
You can open the above mentioned folder by typing the path in RUN dialog box and press Enter.
8. Now go to Start Screen and press "Windows+S" keys together to launch Search pane. Now enter "Shut Down" term in search box. Alternatively you can directly start typing "Shut Down" on Start Screen. It'll automatically start searching for the term.
9. Windows will show the "Shut Down" shortcut in the results. Right-click on the entry and select "Pin to Start" option.
10. That's it. Now "Shut Down" button will be available on Start Screen.
Clicking on the shortcut will enable "Slide to Shut Down" Screen. You can slide the screen down to shut down Windows.
Thanks to "Sanjay Namdeo" for contributing to this website...
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Restrict AutoRun Feature in Windows XP and Vista to CD and DVD Drives Similar to Windows 7
- What is “SkyDrive Pro” Option and How to Activate it or Remove it from Context Menu After Installing Microsoft Office 2013?
- [Did You Know] Ultimate List of Windows Vista Facts, Bugs and Goof-ups
- How to Fix Old Classic Context Menu Problem in Windows Vista and 7
- Download Free Media Player with Full Aero Glass (Transparency) for Windows Vista and 7
- How to Add or Remove Items from “New” Context Menu in Windows?