Speed Up Windows 7 – Master Tutorial to Make Windows 7 Super Fast
This is the 3rd tutorial of our "Master Tutorial" series. We have already posted 2 other tutorials for Windows XP and Windows Vista in past and now its turn of Windows 7.
Although Windows 7 is already very fast and reliable but this tutorial will help you in getting the max performance out of your system.
So without wasting any time, here we start our tutorial:
1. Registry Tweaks:
Following topic contains a few registry tweaks to optimize your system performance and add a few useful extras:
You just need to download the ZIP file, extract it and run the file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your system to take affect.
2. Right-click on Computer icon on Desktop and select Properties (or press WIN + Pause/Break keys). Now click on Advanced system settings link in left side pane (You can open it directly by giving sysdm.cpl command in RUN or start menu search box). Now click on Settings button in Performance section:
It'll open another window. Disable all unnecessary options in Visual Effects tab, you can leave following options enabled according to your requirements:
- Enable Aero Peek (If you want to use Aero Peek feature)
- Enable desktop composition (If you want to use Windows Aero theme)
- Enable transparent glass (If you want to use transparency in Windows)
- Show thumbnails instead of icons (If you want to show thumbnails in Explorer)
- Show window contents while dragging (If you want windows to show contents while moving them)
- Smooth edges of screen fonts (If you want to show smooth fonts)
- Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop (If you want to show shadows under desktop icon labels)
- Use visual styles on windows and buttons (If you want to use Windows Aero or Basic theme)
3. Open Windows Explorer and go to "Organize -> Folder and Search Options" and click on "View" tab.
Now disable following options:
- Display file size information in folder tips
- Hide extensions for known file types
- Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
- Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
4. Right-click on Computer icon on Desktop and select Manage (You can also open it directly by giving services.msc command in RUN or start menu search box).
Now go to Services & Applications -> Services. Here you can set a few unnecessary services to Manual, so that these services don't start automatically with Windows and you can get a faster startup.
Visit following tutorial to know which services can be set to MANUAL to increase system performance:
5. Type msconfig in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. Now go to Startup tab and disable unwanted startup entries. You can disable your graphics card's driver utility, Sound Card utility, etc to speed up the system startup and to increase system performance.
6. Open Sound applet in Control Panel (or type mmsys.cpl in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter). Now go to Sounds tab and select No Sounds from Sound Scheme section. You can keep some of your favorite sounds enabled but make sure to set Exit Windows, Windows Log off, Windows Logon and Start Navigation to (None).
Also disable "Play Windows Startup sound" option to disable the sound clip which is played at login screen.
7. Also don't forget to:
- Install only necessary software
- Use the latest device drivers
- Keep your Windows up-to-date
After following all the above mentioned points, you'll definitely notice major improvements in your Windows 7 performance.
- Speed Up Windows 8 - Master Tutorial to Make Windows 8 Super Fast
- Speed Up Windows Vista - Master Tutorial to Make Windows Vista Super Fast
- Speed Up Windows XP - Master Tutorial to Make Windows XP Super Fast
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Review] What’s New in Microsoft Office 2013?
- How to Use Windows Vista and Windows 7 for One Year Without Activation?
- [Nightly Update] Firefox 39.0 Comes with New “Reader View” Feature
- [Guide] Download Windows 7 Setup ISO for Clean Installation
- [Fix] Windows 8 Not Available for Download or Purchase in Your Country or Region
- Download Windows 7 Free Release Candidate (RC) Build 7100