NOTE: If you get "Unable to create new document" error while starting MS Paint after using this tutorial, make sure you have also replaced mspaint.exe.mui file as mentioned in steps 5 and 6. If you are using 64-bit Windows edition, make sure you read Step 7 carefully.
Recently we told you how can you get old Wordpad working in Windows 7:
Now its turn of MS Paint.
Get Old Paint working in Windows 7:
If you have Windows Vista installed along with Windows 7, you can directly run the "mspaint.exe" file present in "%windir%\System32" folder and it'll run the old Paint without any problem.
You can also create a shortcut of this file at Desktop or in Start Menu so that you can easily access it.
But if you want to completely replace the new Paint in Windows 7 with the old Paint, then you can follow these simple and easy to use steps:
1. Open following folder:
You can open it by typing the path in RUN dialog box and press Enter.
2. Now take ownership of "mspaint.exe" file. To take ownership, please follow this tutorial:
3. Now rename the "mspaint.exe" file to "mspaint_backup.exe".
4. Now copy "mspaint.exe" file from Vista and paste it in "%windir%\System32" folder.
5. Now go to "en-US" folder and take ownership of "mspaint.exe.mui" file. After taking ownership rename the file to "mspaint_backup.exe.mui".
6. Now copy "mspaint.exe.mui" file from Vista and paste in "%windir%\System32\en-US" folder.
7. If you are using 64-bit Windows edition, you'll also need to replace both mspaint.exe and mspaint.exe.mui files present in "Windows\sysWOW64" and "Windows\sysWOW64\en-US" folders using the same steps as mentioned above.
That's it. Now Windows 7 will start using the old Paint.
If you want to use the new Paint later, simply delete the new "mspaint.exe" and "mspaint.exe.mui" files and then rename the backup files to their default names.
NOTE: If you don't have Windows Vista installed, you can download the required "mspaint.exe" and "mspaint.exe.mui" files from following link:
PS: If you face problems while following this tutorial, check out following video showing complete method live in action:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 8 Start Screen Full for Windows XP, Vista and 7
- Download Mac OS X Lion Login Screen for Windows XP
- Download Best and Top 5 Free Antivirus and Anti-Spyware Software for Windows
- Alt Tab Tuner: Freeware to Tweak and Customize “Alt+Tab” Switcher Screen in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- Get Maximum Glass in Mozilla Firefox 3.5 in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Get Drive Capacity Bar aka HDD Meter Back in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer?