How to Fix Broken Incompatible Extensions in Mozilla Firefox and Make Them Compatible With Newer Versions?
So you installed a new version of Firefox or installed an update and now your favorite extension is no longer working. It has been disabled by Firefox. Do you want to re-enable your favorite extension or want to install an incompatible extension in Firefox?
Don't worry! You have come to the right place. This tutorial will help you in making your favorite extensions compatible with Mozilla Firefox and will also help you in installing incompatible extensions.
Many times a few already installed extensions are automatically disabled after updating Firefox version or you can't install a new extension because its not compatible with Firefox version. It happens because the developer didn't update the extension or the developer failed to code the extension compatibility version properly.
Anyway there are a few possible methods, which can be used to make any extension working in Firefox even if it was disabled because of the compatibility issues:
- Using Nightly Tester Tools extension
- Using Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension
- Using Firefox built-in about:config tool
A. Using Nightly Tester Tools Extension:
"Nightly Tester Tools" is a great extension for Mozilla Firefox which can help you in installing an incompatible extension or enabling an already disabled extension.
You can download it from following link:
It also provides many other useful features like:
- Customize Firefox titlebar text
- Copy build tag to clipboard
- Copy list of installed extensions to clipboard
- Open profile folder
- Take screenshot
B. Using Add-on Compatibility Reporter Extension:
Add-on Compatibility Reporter is an official Mozilla Firefox extension developed by Mozilla itself which automatically enables incompatible extensions and let you report them to Mozilla.
This extension allows you to test whether your favorite extensions still work with the version of Firefox that you're using. If you notice that one of your add-ons doesn't seem to be working the same way it did in previous versions of the application, just open the Add-ons Manager and click Compatibility next to that add-on to send a report to Mozilla.
You can download and install it using following link:
Thanks to our readers "Archy" and "carbonize" for mentioning it...
C. Using Firefox built-in about:config Tool:
1. Type about:config in Firefox addressbar and press Enter. It'll confirm, click on I'll be careful, I promise! button.
2. Now right-click and select "New -> Boolean". Set its name in following format:
For example, if you are using Firefox 10.0, you'll need to set the name to extensions.checkCompatibility.10.0 and if you are using Firefox 11.0 beta, you'll need to set the name to extensions.checkCompatibility.11.0b. Similarly if you are using Firefox 12.0 alpha, you'll need to set the name to extensions.checkCompatibility.12.0a and so on.
Now set value of this new boolean key to false.
3. Again right-click and select "New -> Boolean". Give it name extensions.checkUpdateSecurity and set its value to false.
4. That's it. You have done. Restart your browser and now all disabled extensions will be enabled and you'll be able to install new incompatible extensions as well.
NOTE: You can also change value of extensions.lastAppVersion to the version no which is compatible with your favorite extension. After installing the extension, you can revert back the value. It'll not affect the installed extension.
BONUS TIP: There is another method to modify .rdf file of the extension and change the maxversion value to make the extension compatible. But its a complicated method and is not required or recommended when we have the above mentioned easy methods.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [BSNL DataOne Tip] Check Data Usage or Add Extra GB to Your Broadband Plan
- [AskVG Apps] Download Free Software for Tweaking and Customizing Windows
- How to Restrict Users from Customizing Lock Screen in Windows 8 and Later?
- [Windows 10 Tip] Change Downloads Folder Location in Microsoft Edge Browser
- How to Restore Accidentally Uninstalled Built-in Apps in Windows 8?
- Download Windows 10 Enterprise and LTSB Free 90-day Trial Versions