[FAQ] “Get Windows 10” App and “Reserve Your Free Upgrade” Notification Icon
Now to make the upgrade process easier, Microsoft has released a new update KB3035583 for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 users which will help Windows users in upgrading to Windows 10 when it becomes available.
This new update installs a new application called "Get Windows 10" which shows a new White Windows Flag icon in notification area (system tray) of Taskbar. If you click on the icon, it launches "Get Windows 10" app.
The application shows 6 informative pages about Windows 10 new features and upgrade process. Each page contains a button "Reserve your free upgrade" which actually allows you to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 so that you don't need to remember the release date of Windows 10 and don't need to download Windows 10 setup files yourself.
Once you reserve the upgrade by clicking on the button, Windows will automatically download Windows 10 setup files when available and will show a notification to you once all the required files have been downloaded on your computer and Windows 10 is ready to install.
You can also enter your email ID so that Microsoft can send you an email notification about Windows 10 availability on your computer.
Now a Few Things to Note and Remember!
1. This "Get Windows 10" app is purely optional. Do not consider it as a compulsory process to get free Windows 10 upgrade. Even if you don't reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade using this app, you'll still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free as soon as it becomes available from July 29, 2015. This app has been created to check your computer system for compatibility issues and to help users in downloading and installing Windows 10 in their Windows 7 or 8.1 computers. That's it.
The only difference between reserving Windows 10 upgrade using this app and not reserving it is that when you reserve the upgrade, Windows will automatically download Windows 10 setup files and will notify you to install Windows 10 in your system. But if you don't reserve Windows 10 upgrade, you'll have to manually download Windows 10 setup files and install Windows 10 yourself when available.
2. If you reserve your upgrade using this app, it'll automatically start downloading Windows 10 setup files when available which will be around 3GB in size. So keep this in mind that it'll take 3GB of your Internet connection bandwidth automatically.
3. You'll get a notification only after Windows 10 setup files have been downloaded on your computer. The notification will ask you to install Windows 10 and you'll be able to select whether you want to install Windows 10 immediately or schedule a good time in future.
4. If you reserved Windows 10 upgrade but later you want to cancel the reservation, you can do it by launching the app again and clicking on small Hamburger (3 lines) icon present at the top-left corner and then selecting "View confirmation" option.
It'll show you a message that your upgrade is reserved. Just click on "Cancel reservation" link and you are done.
You can reserve Windows 10 upgrade again anytime using the same app.
5. If you don't see the "Get Windows 10" icon in system tray, there might be several reasons such as following ones:
- The required update KB3035583 has not been installed in your system.
- Your computer is not running genuine Windows.
- Your computer is not compatible with Windows 10.
So this "Get Windows 10" app is not a new thing. Its a similar program as Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant or Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor programs which will help Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users in upgrading their computer systems to Windows 10. It has been released to automate the upgrade process as it'll automatically download Windows 10 setup files for you and will also notify you to install Windows 10 in your computer.
So its your decision whether you want to reserve Windows 10 upgrade using this app or want to download and install Windows 10 manually.
NOTE: If you want to remove "Get Windows 10" app and its icon from Taskbar notification area, check out following tutorial:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Best AskVG Articles of 2013
- Hidden Secret Trick to Exit Explorer Using Shut Down Dialog Box in Windows
- How to Remove Watermark (Build Number Info) from Desktop in Windows Vista, 7 and Server 2008?
- Download Mac OS X Skin for Yahoo! Messenger 9 and 10
- [Solution] Windows Vista Explorer Hangs while Copying Files from External Media
- MetroViewer: Simple Image Viewer for Windows with Metro UI