Many Windows users complain about a strange ctfmon.exe process running in background which can be seen using Task Manager. If you try to terminate the process by clicking on "End Process" button in Task Manager, the process restarts automatically.
If you are also suffering from this problem, you can fix it using any of following 2 methods:
METHOD 1: Manually Removing the Process
1. Open Control Panel and click on Add/Remove Programs (in Windows XP) or Programs and Features (in Windows Vista and 7) icon.
2. Now click on Microsoft Office entry present in the list and click on "Change" button.
3. Now select "Add/Remove Features" and click on "Next" button.
4. Now expand "Office Shared Features", click on "Alternative User Input" and select "Not Available" option.
5. Click on Update button. It'll permanently remove that ctfmon.exe process.
METHOD 2: Using Freeware
CTFMON-Remover is a free software which also helps you in removing the annoying CTFMON.EXE from your Windows operating system. The program is easy to use and displays whether the CTFMON.EXE is installed and running or not. If it was found then you can remove it within seconds. Just in case that you need the CTFMON sometime in the future there is also an option to restore the original one.
CTFMON-Remover supports following operating systems:
- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
- Windows 2003 Server
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
You can download it using following link:
NOTE: CTFMON.EXE is also responsible for changing the language schema of your keyboard (e.g. for switching between the German and English keyboard layout). So in case you are using this feature, you shouldn't remove or disable the CTFMON.EXE!
Other similar articles that may interest you
- TeraCopy: Free Alternative to Windows Built-in Copy and Move Functionality
- Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) Preloads Websites Content in Background to Optimize Performance
- Download “Windows Server 2008 Workstation Converter” to Make Server 2008 Look and Work Like Windows Vista
- [Fix] Internet Connection Not Working Using Mobile Phones or USB Modems in Windows
- How to Enable Secret HIBERNATE Button in Shut Down Dialog Box in Windows XP?
- vLite: Freeware to Create Unattended Setup ISO of Windows Vista and Slipstream Service Packs