How to Remove Suspicious CTFMON.EXE Process Running in Background in Windows?
Many Windows users complain about a strange ctfmon.exe process running in background which can be seen using Task Manager. If you try to terminate the process by clicking on "End Process" button in Task Manager, the process restarts automatically.
If you are also suffering from this problem, you can fix it using any of following 2 methods:
METHOD 1: Manually Removing the Process
1. Open Control Panel and click on Add/Remove Programs (in Windows XP) or Programs and Features (in Windows Vista and 7) icon.
2. Now click on Microsoft Office entry present in the list and click on "Change" button.
3. Now select "Add/Remove Features" and click on "Next" button.
4. Now expand "Office Shared Features", click on "Alternative User Input" and select "Not Available" option.
5. Click on Update button. It'll permanently remove that ctfmon.exe process.
METHOD 2: Using Freeware
CTFMON-Remover is a free software which allows you to get rid of the annoying CTFMON.EXE from your Windows operating system. Its very small and easy to use software. It automatically detects and displays whether the CTFMON.EXE process is installed and running in your system or not. If the process is found, you can remove it within seconds.
If you want to restore CTFMON.EXE in future, the software also provides an option to restore the file.
CTFMON-Remover can be used in following operating systems:
- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
You can download it using following link:
NOTE: CTFMON.EXE process is also used by Windows to change the language scheme of your keyboard (e.g. for switching between English and Hindi keyboard layout). If you are using this feature, you shouldn't remove or disable CTFMON.EXE process.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Get Iconized Favorites Bar in Internet Explorer? Only Show Icons and No Titles for Links
- Appetizer: Yet Another Free Dock / Application Launcher for Windows
- How to Change SATA Hard Disk Mode from IDE to AHCI / RAID in BIOS after Installing Windows?
- Fix Windows 8 and Later Restart and Shutdown Problems by Disabling “Hybrid Shutdown” Feature
- Download VistaVG Icon Pack to Get Windows Vista Icons in Windows XP
- [Tip] Enable Hidden Secret “Profile Manager” Feature in Google Chrome