Microsoft's latest OS Windows 8 comes with a new Start Screen which shows live tiles of installed programs, system tools, etc to provide quick and easy access to your favorite programs.
If you have started using Windows 8 RTM or planning to install it, here are some interesting tips and tricks for you to enjoy this new Start Screen in Windows 8.
1. How to Unpin (Remove), Uninstall or Resize a Tile in Start Screen
If you don't like a tile in Start Screen and want to remove it from the screen, just right-click on it and click on "Unpin from Start" option in the bottom bar:
You can also completely uninstall a tile by clicking on "Uninstall" button. If you want to restore a built-in app later, you can follow simple steps given here.
You can also resize a rectangular tile by clicking on "Smaller" button. You can again make that tile large by clicking on "Larger" button.
You can also turn off live previews of tiles using "Turn live tile off" option.
2. How to Pin (Add) New Tiles in Start Screen
If you accidentally removed a tile and want to pin it back to Start Screen or if you want to add a new tile to Start Screen, move your mouse cursor to the extreme top-right corner. It'll show the new Charms bar, select "Search" option from it.
Alternatively, you can press "Ctrl+Tab" keys together to access Apps screen or right-click on Start Screen and click on "All apps" option in bottom bar.
It'll open the Apps page where you'll get a long list of lots of interesting apps. Right-click on an app which you want to pin to Start Screen and click on "Pin to Start" option in bottom bar:
That's it. It'll immediately add the app tile to Start Screen.
3. How to Move Tiles in Start Screen
Did you know you can also move the tiles in Start Screen using simple drag-n-drop? Take an example of the above mentioned "Command Prompt" tile which we added manually. We just dragged-n-dropped it at the beginning of Start Screen:
Isn't it simple?
4. How to Close Apps in Start Screen
You can close a running app by pressing Alt+F4 keys together. Or you can move mouse cursor to top-middle area of screen and the cursor will change into a hand shape. Now click and hold the cursor and drag-n-drop it to the bottom and it'll immediately close the app.
- [Tip] Organize Windows 8 Start Screen Tiles in Groups and Name These Groups
- How to Change Icons and Text Labels of Start Screen Tiles in Windows 8 and 8.1?
- Run Metro Apps on Windows 8 Desktop, Add Minimize, Maximize and Close Buttons
PS: If you don't like the new Start Screen, you can skip or bypass it at startup using following tutorial:
You can also check out following exclusive video showing how to use Windows 8 Start Screen like a pro:
Do you like the new Start Screen? Please let us know your opinion about Start Screen in your comment. Also feel free to share tips-n-tricks for Start Screen if you have found any...
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Tip] Disable Startup and Exit Sounds in Skype, Also Make Skype Look-Like a Messenger
- Download Internet Explorer Skin “VistaVG” for Maxthon Web Browser
- [Direct Download Links] Genuine Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit)
- So.cl (Tulalip): Microsoft Accidentally Reveals New Secret Social Network Project
- How to Enable “InPrivate Filtering” Permanently in Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Beta?
- [Fix] Windows 7 Shows Blurry Thumbnails for Aero Themes in Desktop Personalization Window