[Windows 10 Tip] Disable Number of Badge Notifications on Taskbar Buttons
If you have upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you might have noticed that the good ol' classic Taskbar properties box has been replaced by a new section present in modern Settings app. Now if you right-click on Taskbar and select Settings, it opens Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar page.
The Taskbar settings page contains all classic Taskbar properties options but you might be wondering about a new option present on the page which is "Show badges on taskbar buttons".
This option is new in Windows 10 and many people are confused about this option. If you turn this option on or off, nothing seems to be changed in the OS at all.
That's why today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you about this option usage i.e. what this new option actually does?
Microsoft has introduced a new feature called "Taskbar badge notifications" in Anniversary Update which shows small icons or badges on Taskbar buttons of running modern (metro or UWP) apps. These small icons show the number of notifications similar to the notifications count on Action Center's icon in Taskbar.
For example, if you are running Mail app and have some unread emails, Mail app's Taskbar button will show the badge on it containing number of unread emails. Similarly if have set an alarm in Alarms & Clock app, the badge on its Taskbar button will show the alarm status.
Although these badge notifications are a good addition to Taskbar buttons, but some users might want to turn it off. That's why Microsoft has provided an option in Taskbar settings page to enable or disable badges on Taskbar buttons.
If you also want to disable these badge notifications on Taskbar buttons, following steps will help you:
1. Right-click on Taskbar and select Settings option. It'll open Taskbar settings page.
Alternatively, you can open Settings app from Start Menu or by pressing WIN+I keys together and then go to Personalization -> Taskbar section.
2. Now you'll see the new option "Show badges on taskbar buttons". Its enabled by default. Set the option to Off and it'll disable the badge notifications on apps Taskbar buttons.
NOTE: If the option "Show badges on taskbar buttons" is greyed out on Settings page i.e. you can't turn it on or off, then it means the option "Use small taskbar buttons" is On in Taskbar settings page. Set the "Use small taskbar buttons" option to Off and now you'll be able to change "Show badges on taskbar buttons" option without any problem.
Posted in: Windows 10
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Autorun Eater: Remove Suspicious “Autorun.inf” Files from USB Drives
- How to Import (Restore) All Tasks in Bulk Using Task Scheduler in Windows?
- Download Best and Top 5 Free Antivirus and Anti-Spyware Software for Windows
- [Opera Tip] Disable Mute Tabs Feature on Websites
- Download SevenVG RTM Theme with Normal Thin Taskbar for Windows XP
- Windows Explorer Always Opens in Libraries View in Windows 7, How to Change Target Folder?