[Tip] Disable Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) Upgrade Notification in Windows 7
If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system and getting frequent notifications to upgrade the older version of Internet Explorer web browser present in your computer to the latest Internet Explorer 11 version, this tutorial will help you in disabling those prompt messages to make your life easier and more comfortable.
Recently Microsoft released a new update KB3123303 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 which detects the installed version of Internet Explorer (IE) web browser in computers and if it finds an older version of IE such as IE8, IE9 or IE10, it starts notifying the users about the discontinued support for the older version of Internet Explorer. It also asks users to upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer which is version 11.
This notification is called "End of Support" or "End of Life" and is shown when the user launches Internet Explorer web browser. It automatically opens a new tab in the browser containing download page of IE11. This notification is not displayed on every launch of Internet Explorer. Once the notification is shown and you close the tab, it waits for 72 hours i.e. 3 days and after 72 hours the notification shows again.
Its actually a good move by Microsoft as it alerts users about the end of support for Internet Explorer older versions and also helps them in upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer. But there might be some situations when a user doesn't want to upgrade to latest IE11 version. In such situation, the regular notification prompt to upgrade to IE11 might be very annoying to the user.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to share a Registry tweak to get rid of the notification of IE11 upgrade. Once you apply this trick, you'll no longer receive the IE11 upgrade notification in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
So if you are using IE8, IE9 or IE10 versions in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems and want to turn off notifications to upgrade to latest version of Internet Explorer web browser in your computer, check out following simple steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Create a new key under FeatureControl key and set its name as FEATURE_DISABLE_IE11_SECURITY_EOL_NOTIFICATION
4. Now select FEATURE_DISABLE_IE11_SECURITY_EOL_NOTIFICATION key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD iexplore.exe and set its value to 1
NOTE: If you are using 64-bit edition of Windows, you'll also need to follow the same steps 3-4 for following key:
If this key doesn't exist in your computer, that means you are using 32-bit edition of Windows.
5. You may need to restart your computer to take effects. It'll permanently disable the EOL notification and will never prompt you to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 version.
PS: In future, if you want to enable notification to upgrade to IE11, delete the FEATURE_DISABLE_IE11_SECURITY_EOL_NOTIFICATION key.
NOTE: If you are not familiar with Registry editing tasks, we are also providing ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically. Download following ZIP file, extract it and run .REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your computer to take effects:
You can check out the review of Internet Explorer 11 at following link to learn more about its features:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Enable / Disable “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” Option in Open With Dialog Box?
- How to Re-Download Windows 8 Setup Without Purchasing it Again Using Upgrade Assistant?
- Beware of “Anti-Virus-1”, Another Fake Antivirus in Town
- How to Put Tabs Back on Bottom in Mozilla Firefox?
- Windows 8 Recycle Bin Will Not Warn You When You Delete a File
- Download Windows XP Mode Final Version for Windows 7