Sometimes people face a problem in Windows when Windows doesn't remember their customization settings on Desktop and taskbar, like icons positions, toolbars positions, taskbar position, etc.
Recently I got a similar mail from a visitor "Onie Ward":
I downloaded something called Vista Customization Pack.
I've tried to uninstall this program (I'm on Windows XP) and it seems to have worked, EXCEPT that every time I login, my icons all line up on the left hand side of the page. I move them back to where I want them, but every login...moved. It all started when I installed Vista Customization Pack. I've emailed them, but haven't heard back.
Can you help?? Thanks.
So if you are also facing such problem, then this tutorial will help you in fixing the issue:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now check for a DWORD "NoSaveSettings" in right-side pane under following keys:
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions
The DWORD value will be present in any of the above mentioned locations, most probably in the last one.
3. Once you find the DWORD value, delete it and restart your system. It'll solve your problem and Windows will remember your desktop settings.
NOTE: If the above trick doesn't work for you, try Method C given for Point 19 in following article:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 8.1 RTM Now
- [Solution] “Play All” Option Opens “Copy Items” and “Move Items” Dialog Box in Windows XP
- Taskbar Pinner: Freeware to Pin Almost Anything to Windows 7 and Windows 8 Taskbar
- Watch Full Bollywood Blockbuster Movies Online For Free on YouTube and Yahoo! MoviePlex
- How to Set Restrictions in Mozilla Firefox? Restrict Downloads, Adding Bookmarks, Add-ons, Changing Options, etc
- How to Install and Apply Styler Toolbar Skin in Windows XP Explorer?