Sometimes people face a problem in Windows when Windows doesn't remember their customization settings on Desktop and taskbar, like icons positions, toolbars positions, taskbar position, etc.
Recently I got a similar mail from a visitor "Onie Ward":
I downloaded something called Vista Customization Pack.
I've tried to uninstall this program (I'm on Windows XP) and it seems to have worked, EXCEPT that every time I login, my icons all line up on the left hand side of the page. I move them back to where I want them, but every login...moved. It all started when I installed Vista Customization Pack. I've emailed them, but haven't heard back.
Can you help?? Thanks.
So if you are also facing such problem, then this tutorial will help you in fixing the issue:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now check for a DWORD value "NoSaveSettings" in right-side pane under following keys:
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions
The DWORD value will be present in any of the above mentioned locations, most probably in the last one.
3. Once you find the DWORD value, delete it and restart your system. It'll solve your problem and Windows will remember your desktop settings.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Direct Download Links] Genuine Windows 7 RTM with SP1 ISO (32-bit and 64-bit)
- vLite: Freeware to Create Unattended Setup Disc of Windows Vista, Slipstream Service Packs and Integrate Drivers
- Download Free “Microsoft Download Manager” from Microsoft
- Registry Tweak to Add “Copy as Path” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows
- How To Enable “Search For Text When I Start Typing” Feature in Mozilla Firefox?
- Pulmon: Yet Another Free Utility to Get Windows 8 Style Live Tiles with Metro UI on Windows Desktop