[Solution] Windows Desktop doesn’t Save User Customized Settings
Sometimes people face a problem in Windows when Windows doesn't remember their customization settings on Desktop and taskbar, like icons positions, toolbars positions, taskbar position, etc.
Recently I got a similar mail from a visitor "Onie Ward":
I downloaded something called Vista Customization Pack.
I've tried to uninstall this program (I'm on Windows XP) and it seems to have worked, EXCEPT that every time I login, my icons all line up on the left hand side of the page. I move them back to where I want them, but every login...moved. It all started when I installed Vista Customization Pack. I've emailed them, but haven't heard back.
Can you help?? Thanks.
So if you are also facing such problem, then this tutorial will help you in fixing the issue:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now check for a DWORD "NoSaveSettings" in right-side pane under following keys:
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions
The DWORD value will be present in any of the above mentioned locations, most probably in the last one.
3. Once you find the DWORD value, delete it and restart your system. It'll solve your problem and Windows will remember your desktop settings.
NOTE: If the above trick doesn't work for you, try Method C given for Point 19 in following article:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Tip] Disable or Remove Windows 10 Lock Screen
- How to Get New YouTube Homepage Design Right Now?
- Download AeroVG Ei8ht and Ei8ht.1ne Themes for Windows 8 / 8.1
- [Opera Tip] Disable Mute Tabs Feature on Websites
- How to Disable New Metro Boot Loader and Restore Classic Boot Loader in Windows 8 and Later?
- 7-Zip Theme Manager: Free Portable Tool to Customize 7-Zip Toolbar Theme and Filetype Icons