How to Shutdown or Restart Windows 8.1 PC Using “Win+X” Menu and Hidden Secret “Slide to Shutdown” Feature?
UPDATE: This tutorial was written at the time of Windows 8.1 Preview testing. In Windows 8.1 Preview version, Sign out command was not available in "Win+X -> Shut down" menu. Now in final version of Windows 8.1, Microsoft has added Sign out command to the menu. Tutorial has been updated to include the new information.
Most of us know that Windows 8 doesn't come with Start Menu. Microsoft replaced Start Menu with Start Screen. Removal of Start Menu created a few major problems for Windows 8 users and one of these problems was missing power options such as Shutdown and Restart. Microsoft moved power options to new Charms Bar which can be accessed by moving your mouse cursor to top-right or bottom-right corners of screen.
Many Windows 8 users didn't know about this hidden option and they had a hard time in finding power options to shutdown or restart their computers. That's why we posted a tutorial and released a freeware and Registry tweak to make Windows 8 users life easier:
- How to Log Off, Restart and Shut Down Windows 8 PC?
- Add Cascading Menu for Power Options in Desktop Context Menu of Windows 8
- Shutdown Panel: Freeware to Provide Easy and Quick Access to Power Options in Windows
Now with the release of Windows 8.1, Microsoft has also added all these power options such as shutdown, restart, sleep, hibernate and sign out in "Win+X" Menu which we also call "Quick Access Menu".
"Win+X" Menu is a hidden menu present in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 which can be accessed by right-clicking on the extreme bottom-left corner of screen or by pressing "Win+X" keys together. It contains shortcuts of a few frequently used items such as Task Manager, Control Panel, Run, etc. You can read more about it here.
In Windows 8.1 when you access "Win+X" Menu, it contains a new menu "Shut down or sign out" which contains 4 items: Shut down, Restart, Sleep and Sign out.
By default Hibernate option is not enabled but you can enable it using following tutorial:
Its a nice addition by Microsoft in Windows 8.1. Now Windows 8.1 users will not complain about missing shut down, restart, sleep, hibernate and sign out options.
Windows 8.1 also comes with a hidden secret "Slide to Shutdown" feature. Currently this feature is not enabled by Microsoft but you can make it working by executing "slidetoshutdown.exe" command from RUN or Command Prompt. This executable file is present in "C:\Windows\System32" folder. You can also create its shortcut on Desktop or pin it to Taskbar or Start Screen. Now whenever you want to shutdown Windows 8.1 PC, launch the shortcut and an image will be displayed on your computer screen asking you to slide it down to shutdown your PC as shown in following screenshot:
PS: I still think username context menu at Start Screen was the best place to put power shortcuts in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 as suggested here.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Tip] Enable Hidden Secret Dark and Light Themes in Mozilla Firefox
- How to Shutdown or Restart Windows 8.1 PC Using “Win+X” Menu and Hidden Secret “Slide to Shutdown” Feature?
- Get Windows 7 “Desktop Background Slide Show” Feature in XP and Vista Using Microsoft Official “Winter Fun Wallpaper Changer” Powertoy
- How to Open .Hlp Files in Windows Vista, 7 or 8 Which Require Windows Help Program (WinHlp32.exe)?
- Download Best and Top 5 Free Addictive Games for Google Android Devices
- How to Enable “InPrivate Filtering” Permanently in Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Beta?