If you have a dual-boot system with Linux and Windows, then you probably know that when you start your system first Linux boot loader appears showing Linux as well as Windows boot entries and if you select Windows from the list, it starts Windows.
Suppose a situation when you want to remove Linux from your system and want to use only Windows, then how will you do it?
Many times people delete the partitions having Linux installed from "Disk Manager" but it doesn't remove Linux completely. The Linux boot loader still appears at startup but since you deleted Linux partitions, the boot loader gets corrupted and your system becomes unusable.
So if you are also facing this problem or you faced this problem in past and could not get a working solution, then read this tutorial and you can follow it if you find yourself in a similar situation.
This tutorial will help you in completely removing Linux from a dual-boot system:
STEP 1. First you'll need to boot using Windows setup CD. You can use Windows 98 Setup CD or Windows 2000, XP, 2003 CD or Windows Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7 DVD.
Using Windows 98 CD:
Boot into Command Prompt and provide following command:
Now exit from command prompt by typing Exit and press Enter.
Using Windows 2000, XP, 2003 CD:
Enter into "Recovery Console" by pressing "R", select your Windows installation and enter administrator password. Now provide following command:
Press "Y" to confirm and type Exit to exit from recovery console.
Using Windows Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7 DVD:
Boot using setup DVD and click on "Repair Computer" link, then click on "Command Prompt". Now navigate to your DVD drive using CD command and at last provide following command:
bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr
Exit from Command prompt and restart your system.
Thanks to Ramesh Kumar (Fellow MVP) to provide this trick.
STEP 2. The above commands will remove the Linux boot loader from startup and you'll be able to directly boot into Windows.
STEP 3. If you have not deleted Linux partitions, then you can delete them using "Disk Manager" tool in Windows.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Best and Top 5 Free Antivirus and Anti-Spyware Software for Windows
- How to Add “Network Connections” Shortcut in Desktop Context Menu in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Show Windows 8 Developer Preview Watermark (Build Number Info) on Windows 7 Desktop?
- XLaunchpad: Download Free Portable Tool to Get Mac OS X Lion “Launchpad” in Windows
- How to Get Good Old 3D Pinball Game, InkBall, Hold ‘Em, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Calendar and ClipBook Viewer in Windows 7?
- How to Install Windows 8 in Virtual Box or VMware Workstation?