How to Enable Missing Hibernate Option in Windows Start Menu?
One of the most common problem in Windows is the missing "Hibernate" option in Start Menu. I get many emails regularly asking the same question: How to enable the hibernate option in Windows Vista or other Windows versions?
Actually its a known issue in Windows. The hibernate option automatically disappears whenever you run "Disk Cleanup" wizard. It happens because Disk Cleanup wizard also removes important Hibernate files to free up space on your hard drive. So if you use Hibernate feature, then make sure you always deselect "Hibernattion File Cleaner" option from the list whenever you run Disk Cleanup wizard in future.
Anyway its very easy to re-enable the missing Hibernate option. If you are also not getting the option, you can bring it back by following these simple steps:
1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Start Menu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".
2. Now provide any of following commands:
powercfg /hibernate on
powercfg -h on
3. Exit command prompt and Hibernate option should appear in Start Menu.
So next time when you run Disk Cleanup, make sure to uncheck the option to clear hibernate files otherwise it'll again disable the hibernate feature in Windows and you'll not get the option in Start Menu.
If the above mentioned method doesn't work for you, make sure the "Hybrid sleep" option is turned off in Advanced Power Options.
1. Open Power Options from Control Panel or by using powercfg.cpl command in RUN dialog box.
2. Now click on "Change when the computer sleeps" link present in left sidebar.
3. Now click on "Change advanced power settings" link and expand "Sleep" setting and set "Allow hybrid sleep" option to Off.
4. Apply changes and restart your computer. It'll fix the problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Understanding Windows 10 Insider Preview Branches, Rings and Release Channels
- Microsoft Shares Tips and Hotkeys to Make Windows 7 Faster, Secure and Easier to Use
- MetroController: Free Utility to Disable Metro UI, Start Screen and Windows Explorer Ribbon UI in Windows 8
- How to Turn Off Taskbar Thumbnail Live Previews in Windows 7
- Run It: Small Utility to Allow Opening of Any Program by Typing its Name in RUN Dialog Box in Windows
- How to Fix User Folders Glass Icons Changed to Default Yellow Icons in Windows Vista?