[Tip] Get Classic Wordpad (without Ribbons) in Windows 7 and Later
Someone asked us how can he get the good ol' classic Wordpad and Paint programs back in Windows 7 as he can't get used to the new ribbon interface. So here we'll tell you a way to get the classic Wordpad and Paint apps back in Windows 7 and later OS.
Actually Windows 7 supports the old Wordpad and Paint.
Following tutorial shows you how to get classic Paint app working in Windows 7:
And here is the step-by-step tutorial to get classic Wordpad program working in Windows 7:
Get Classic Wordpad Program Without Ribbon UI in Windows 7:
If you have Windows Vista installed along with Windows 7 in your computer, you can directly run the "wordpad.exe" file present in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories" folder and it'll run the old Wordpad without any problem.
But if you don't have Windows Vista installed, you can download the classic Wordpad program from following link:
You can create a shortcut of Wordpad EXE file at Desktop or pin the shortcut to Taskbar or Start Menu for quick and easy access.
Replace New Wordpad App with Classic Wordpad in Windows 7:
If you want to completely replace the new Wordpad in Windows 7 with the old Wordpad program, you can follow these simple and easy to use steps:
1. Open following folder:
C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories
You can also open it by typing the path in RUN dialog box and press Enter.
2. Now take ownership of "wordpad.exe" file. To take ownership, check out following tutorials:
3. Now rename the "wordpad.exe" file to "wordpad_backup.exe".
4. Now go to "en-US" folder and take ownership of "wordpad.exe.mui" file. After taking ownership rename the file to "wordpad_backup.exe.mui".
5. Now copy "wordpad.exe" file from downloaded ZIP file and paste it in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories" folder.
Do the same thing for "wordpad.exe.mui" file, copy it from downloaded ZIP file and paste in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\en-US" folder.
NOTE: If you are using a different language edition of Windows, replace the wordpad.exe.MUI file in your local language folder as well. For example, Czech locale users will need to replace wordpad.exe.MUI file in cs-CZ folder along with en-US folder.
That's it. Now Windows 7 will start using the classic Wordpad program without ribbons.
If you want to restore the new Wordpad program in future, simply delete the new "wordpad.exe" and "wordpad.exe.mui" files and then rename the backup files to their default names.
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable Aero Snap Feature in Windows 7 and Later?
- [Fix] Links from Yahoo! Messenger, FDM and avast! Open in IE Even If Firefox is Default Browser
- DeskHack: Show Actual Theme Names in Windows Vista Desktop Properties
- Windows 8 Start Menu Toggle: Free Utility to Toggle Between New Start Screen and Old Start Menu
- Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) Build Information
- [Review] What’s New in Windows 10 November Update Build 10586