UPDATE: This tutorial can also be used in Windows 7, Windows 8 and later OS versions.
One of the most annoying problem in Windows Vista is automatically change of a folder view type. You set a desired view of a folder and suddenly Windows changes its view type to "Pictures and Videos" when you copy a picture to this folder.
Its a very common problem in Vista which almost all Vista users are facing. Actually it happens because of "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" feature which was introduced in Vista but instead of making something good, this feature has made the case worst.
But now no need to worry, there is a registry trick to fix this annoying problem. This trick will reset the folder view settings and will completely disable the automatic folder type discovery feature, so you'll not face this problem any more. Windows will always use your custom view settings for all folders.
So follow these simple steps to fix this problem:
1. Type regedit in RUN or start menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now navigate to following key:
3. Under "Shell" key, select "Bags" key and press "Delete" key. It'll ask for confirmation, click on Yes button.
4. Now right-click on "Shell" key and select "New -> Key" option. Give the new key name of Bags
5. Now right-click on "Bags" key and select "New -> Key" option. Give the new key name of AllFolders
6. Again right-click on "AllFolders" key and select "New -> Key" option. Give the new key name of Shell
7. Now click on this new "Shell" key and in right-side pane, create a new String value and give it name of FolderType and set its value to NotSpecified
8. That's it. Either restart your system or log off and now Windows will no longer reset/change your custom folder view type settings.
NOTE: If you want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, then download following Zip file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable New Metro Boot Loader and Bring Back Windows Vista and 7 Style Boot Loader in Windows 8?
- The Best FREE Alternatives to Nero CD / DVD Burning Software
- AeroBar: Free Portable Utility to Show Titlebar Text in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- [Solution] Taskbar is not Transparent While Using Aero Theme in Windows Vista
- Smart Folders: Freeware to Get iOS and Android Style Folder Creation Functionality in Windows
- Find and Listen Bollywood Songs Online for Free using Google Music Search