How to Fix Annoying Folder View Type Change Problem in Windows
One of the most annoying problems in Windows Vista and later Windows versions is the automatic change of a folder view type. Imagine a situation when you set a desired view type of a folder (such as large icons, list, details, etc) and after some time Windows automatically changes its view type to "Pictures and Videos" or any other view type when you copy a picture or video file to this folder.
Its a very common problem in Windows Vista and later OS which almost all Windows users are facing. Actually it happens because of "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" feature which was introduced in Windows Vista but instead of making something good, this feature has made the life of Windows users worst as Windows doesn't remember your customized view types for folders and automatically resets the view type based on folder content.
But now no need to worry, there is a registry trick to fix this annoying problem. This trick will reset the view settings of all folders and then it'll completely disable the automatic folder type discovery feature, so you'll not face this problem any more and Windows will always remember your customized view type settings for all folders.
So follow these simple steps to fix this problem:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now navigate to following key:
3. Under "Shell" key, select "Bags" key and press "Delete" key. It'll ask for confirmation, click on Yes button.
4. Now right-click on "Shell" key and select "New -> Key" option. Set the name of new key as Bags
5. Now right-click on "Bags" key and select "New -> Key" option. Set the name of new key as AllFolders
6. Again right-click on "AllFolders" key and select "New -> Key" option. Now set the name of new key as Shell
So the final key path will be:
7. Now click on this new "Shell" key and in right-side pane, create a new String value and give it name as FolderType and set its value to NotSpecified
8. That's it. Either restart your system or log off and now Windows will no longer forget or automatically change your customized folder view type settings.
If you are not familiar with Registry editing tasks and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following Zip file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
If you want, you can apply same folder view settings to all folders using following steps:
1. In Windows Explorer, open any folder and customize its view type to your desired view such as large icons or details, etc.
2. Now open Folder Options (from Tools menu in Windows XP, from Organize menu in Windows Vista and 7, from Ribbon -> View in Windows 8 and later).
3. Go to View tab in Folder Options and click on "Apply to Folders" button.
That's it. It'll immediately apply current folder view type settings to all folders in your computer.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Mac OS X Skin for Yahoo! Messenger 9 and 10
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Purble Place” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- Download Free and Paid Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Firewall and Other Security Software Using SSDownloader
- Get Windows 7 Icons in Windows XP Using SevenVG Icon Pack
- PIN / Password of Signal Setup in Tech Settings of DEN Set Top Box
- List of Uninstallers / Removal Tools for All Popular Antivirus Software