How to Disable “Install Windows Updates and Shut Down” Option in Windows Start Menu?
Almost all Windows users use "Windows Updates" to download and install automatic updates for Windows released by Microsoft. These updates fix security issues and improve stability and performance of your computer so its always advised to install all Windows updates regularly.
You can set Windows to automatically install updates or ask you each time whenever a new update is available for download using its Settings.
Many times when Windows downloads updates, it needs to restart the computer to install those updates as the installation might require replacing of few system files which are currently in use by Windows. In such condition, Windows automatically replaces "Shut Down" button present in Start Menu with "Install Updates and Shut Down" button which looks like following screenshot:
The Windows shield icon near Shut Down button indicates that there are some updates waiting for installation and when you click on the button, it first installs those updates and then shuts down the system which might take lots of time.
It might become a bit annoying if you are in hurry and want to shut down your system immediately without wasting your time in installing those updates and sometimes it gets worst when you accidentally click on the button in hurry.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you a Registry trick to disable this feature and set Windows to not replace your existing power button with its own install updates button in Start Menu.
So without wasting time, lets share the trick:
1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. Create a new key under "Windows" key and set its name to WindowsUpdate
4. Create another new key under WindowsUpdate key and set its name to AU
5. So the final key path would be:
6. Now select AU key and in right-side pane create a new DWORD NoAUAsDefaultShutdownOption and set its value to 1
Now Windows will no longer overwrite Shut Down button in Start Menu with Install updates button and you'll get "Install updates and shut down" option in power options list which appears when you click on the little arrow given near the shut down button as shown in following screenshot:
7. If you want to permanently remove this "Install updates and shut down" option, then create a new DWORD NoAUShutdownOption and set its value to 1
It'll completely remove "Install updates and shut down" option from Start Menu.
BONUS TIP: Sometimes Windows automatically restarts your computer to install scheduled updates. You can disable this automatic restart feature by creating a new DWORD NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and set its value to 1
NOTE: If you don't want to edit the Registry yourself and want a ready-made Registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the Disable.REG file. it'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
If you are also facing some problem with Windows Updates, feel free to ask it in your comment...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- OEM Configurator 2.0: Free Portable Utility to Customize OEM Information and Logo in System Properties of Windows
- How to Log Off, Restart or Shut Down in Windows 8 and Later?
- Free 1-Year and Lifetime Licenses of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium Edition
- How to Restrict Users from Deleting Cookies, Temporary Files and Other Browsing History Data in Internet Explorer?
- Power Scheduler: Freeware to Schedule Shutdown, Restart, Hibernate and Lock Operations in Windows
- Get Google Chrome Text Field Resizing Feature in Mozilla Firefox