How to Disable Hot Corners (Charms Bar and App Switch List) in Windows 8.1?
One of the big annoyances present in Windows 8 was "Hot Corners" feature which allows users to access some predefined shortcuts by moving the mouse cursor to top-left or top-right corners of computer screen. When you move the cursor to top-left corner of screen, the "App Switcher" or "App Switch List" is shown which allows you to navigate between running apps or close running apps. When you move the cursor to top-right corner of screen, "Charms Bar" is shown which provides quick access to 5 shortcuts: Search, Share, Start, Devices and Settings.
Although these hot corners were designed to help Windows 8 users but most of the users found them annoying and useless. They wanted to disable these hot corners but Microsoft didn't provide any option to disable these irritating hot corners. That's why we had to take help of 3rd party tools such as Classic Shell to disable hot corners in Windows 8 as shown in following tutorial:
Now Microsoft has released Windows 8.1 update for Windows 8 users which comes with many new features and fixes and one of these new features is the built-in option to disable hot corners in Windows 8.1.
Now Windows 8.1 users will not need to use any extra software to turn off these hot corners. You can disable hot corners quickly and easily using Taskbar Properties or PC Settings.
If you are using Windows 8.1 and want to disable "Charms Bar" or "App Switch List" hot corners, this tutorial will definitely help you:
METHOD 1: Using Taskbar Properties
1. Right-click on Taskbar and select Properties option.
2. It'll open Taskbar and Navigation properties window.
3. Go to "Navigation" tab and uncheck following options present in "Corner navigation" section:
- When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms
- When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent apps
1st option will disable Charms Bar and the 2nd option will disable App Switch list.
4. Apply the changes and it'll immediately disable hot corners in Windows 8.1.
METHOD 2: Using PC Settings
You can also disable hot corners using PC Settings (aka Metro Control Panel).
1. Move your mouse cursor to top-right or bottom-right corner of screen and click on Settings icon present in Charms Bar.
2. Now click on "Change PC settings" option.
3. It'll open PC Settings page. Now go to "PC & devices -> Corners & edges" section.
4. As you can see in the above screenshot, you can disable the hot corners by setting both options present in "Corner navigation" section to Off.
PS: You can also try to turn off "Right Edge Swipe", "Enable Edge Swipes" or similar option present in "Control Panel -> Mouse" settings window to disable Charms Bar gesture in your touch enabled device as mentioned in following tutorial:
NOTE: If you want to make these changes using Registry Editor, check out following tutorial:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download New Ultimate Extras for Windows Vista: A New Game, Sound Scheme and DreamScene Content Pack
- Download AeroVG Ei8ht and Ei8ht.1ne Themes for Windows 8 / 8.1
- [Fix] Windows 7 Automatically Reduces System Volume for Games & PC Calls
- [Fix] “View” Tab is Missing in “Folder Options” Dialog Box in Windows
- How to Quickly Clear or Disable “Recently Opened Programs” List in Start Menu in Windows Vista and 7?
- So Windows 7 Will Be Windows 7, Microsoft Confirms