How to Disable “Homegroup” Feature in Windows 7 and Later?
Recently an AskVG reader asked how can he remove "Homegroup" icon from My Computer window in Windows?
"Homegroup" is a new feature in Windows which allows to share files and printers on a home network quickly and easily. The Homegroup can be accessed using Windows Explorer. Its displayed in Navigation pane as shown below:
Now the important thing is that not all people are going to use this new feature. If you have a single PC and don't want to use this feature, why not disable it and save some system resources? Yes, Homegroup runs 2 services in background and you can stop those services to free some valuable system resources.
So today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to disable "Homegroup" feature in Windows? So without wasting any time, lets start the tutorial:
1. Open Computer and right-click on "Homegroup" icon present in Navigation pane and select "Change HomeGroup Settings":
2. Now click on "Leave the homegroup..." link given at bottom.
3. It'll ask for confirmation, click on "Leave the homegroup" button.
4. After that, close Explorer window. Now type services.msc in RUN or Start Menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open "Services" window.
Here look for following 2 services:
- HomeGroup Listener
- HomeGroup Provider
Once you find them, double-click on each and change the "Startup type" to Disabled. Apply the changes and exit from Services window.
5. That's it. It'll permanently disable "Homegroup" feature and its icon will also be removed from Windows Explorer:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Leopard Skin for RK Launcher Dock Utility
- Download Popular “Angry Birds” and “Bad Piggies” Games for Windows PC
- Mozilla to Remove Several Unnecessary Options from Firefox Preferences Window
- [Tip] Revealing Hidden Secret “Unicorn” Easter Egg in Mozilla Firefox
- [Tip] Enable Improved and Stylish Bookmark Pop-up in Opera
- Download Microsoft Translator Bookmarklet to Translate Websites in a Single Click