How to Disable “Homegroup” Feature in Windows 7 and Later?
Recently an AskVG reader asked how can he remove "Homegroup" icon from My Computer window in Windows?
"Homegroup" is a new feature in Windows which allows to share files and printers on a home network quickly and easily. The Homegroup can be accessed using Windows Explorer. Its displayed in Navigation pane as shown below:
Now the important thing is that not all people are going to use this new feature. If you have a single PC and don't want to use this feature, why not disable it and save some system resources? Yes, Homegroup runs 2 services in background and you can stop those services to free some valuable system resources.
So today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to disable "Homegroup" feature in Windows? So without wasting any time, lets start the tutorial:
1. Open Computer and right-click on "Homegroup" icon present in Navigation pane and select "Change HomeGroup Settings":
2. Now click on "Leave the homegroup..." link given at bottom.
3. It'll ask for confirmation, click on "Leave the homegroup" button.
4. After that, close Explorer window. Now type services.msc in RUN or Start Menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open "Services" window.
Here look for following 2 services:
- HomeGroup Listener
- HomeGroup Provider
Once you find them, double-click on each and change the "Startup type" to Disabled. Apply the changes and exit from Services window.
5. That's it. It'll permanently disable "Homegroup" feature and its icon will also be removed from Windows Explorer:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- DWMColorMod: Free Utility for Windows 7 to Customize Aero Glass Appearance
- How to Change Email Storage Location in Windows Live Mail
- Add “Change Sound”, “Change Cursor”, “System Properties” and Other Useful Shortcuts in Windows Vista and Later Desktop Context Menu
- Watch Full Bollywood Blockbuster Movies Online For Free on YouTube and Yahoo! MoviePlex
- [Firefox Tips] Disable Add-on Signature Check, Suggested Sites on New Tab Page and Website Blocking Feature
- Fix “The Products We Found in Your Account Can’t be Used to Activate” Error Message in Microsoft Office 2013 Applications