Recently an AskVG reader asked how can he remove "Homegroup" icon from My Computer window in Windows 7?
"Homegroup" is a new feature in Windows 7 which allows to share files and printers on a home network quickly and easily. The Homegroup can be accessed using Windows Explorer. Its displayed in Navigation pane as shown below:
Now the important thing is that not all people are going to use this new feature. If you have a single PC and don't want to use this feature, why not disable it and save some system resources? Yes, Homegroup runs 2 services in background and you can stop those services to free some valuable system resources.
So today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to disable "Homegroup" feature in Windows 7? So without wasting any time, lets start the tutorial:
1. Open Computer and right-click on "Homegroup" icon present in Navigation pane and select "Change HomeGroup Settings":
2. Now click on "Leave the homegroup..." link given at bottom.
3. It'll ask for confirmation, click on "Leave the homegroup" button.
4. After that, close Explorer window. Now type services.msc in RUN or Start Menu Searchbox and press Enter. It'll open "Services" window.
Here look for following 2 services:
- HomeGroup Listener
- HomeGroup Provider
Once you find them, double-click on each and change the "Startup type" to Disabled. Apply the changes and exit from Services window.
5. That's it. It'll permanently disable "HomeGroup" feature and its icon will also be removed from Windows Explorer:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- YouTube Tests New Design “Cosmic Panda” for Videos, Playlists and Channels, Try NOW
- How to Restore Recycle Bin Icon on Desktop in Windows Vista and Later?
- Get Windows 8 Lock Screen Style Date and Time Display on Windows 7 Login Screen
- FileTypesMan: Free Alternative to Windows Default File Type Option
- How to Disable Hot Corners (Charms Bar, Start Screen Thumbnail, App Switch List) in Windows 8?
- Windows Show Desktop Link: Get the Good Old “Show Desktop” Icon Back in Windows 7