How to Disable Full Row Select Functionality in Windows Vista and Later Explorer?
In Windows Vista and later, if you are using "Details" view in Explorer you have noticed that when you hover mouse cursor over any item, it highlights or selects the full row. This behavior is different than the previous Windows versions.
In previous Windows like XP, only the file/folder name was selected instead of the full row. So if you want the same functionality in Windows Vista and late i.e. want to disable the "Full Row Select" functionality in Explorer, then follow this tutorial.
Before applying this tutorial:
After applying this tutorial:
PS: Following method will only work in Windows Vista. For Windows 7 and later, download and run the REG file given at the end of this topic.
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to:
2. In right-side pane, create a new DWORD value FullRowSelect and keep its value to 0
3. After applying this tweak, if you create a new folder it'll have the Full Row Select functionality disabled. But the existing folders will still have the Full Row Select functionality enabled.
4. To disable Full Row Select functionality in all existing folders as well, go to following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\Shell
and delete "Bags" key under it.
5. Again go to following key:
And delete "Defaults" key under it.
6. Log off and now the "Full Row Select" functionality will be disabled in all existing as well as new folders.
NOTE: If you want ready-made scripts to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run extracted REG (for Windows 7 and later) or VBS (for Windows Vista) files. Thanks to "Keith Miller", my fellow MVP for creating VBS batch files for Windows Vista.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Fix] Can’t Change Volume Level on HD Channels in Tata Sky DTH
- List of Free Tools to Get Classic Start Menu Back in Windows 7
- How to Apply and Safely Use Custom User Interface (Shell or Explorer) in Windows?
- [Guide] How to Free Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8.1
- How to Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer Navigation Pane?
- How to Turn Off Taskbar Thumbnail Live Previews in Windows 7