How to Disable Charms Bar Hint in Windows 8?
NOTE: This tutorial helps in turning off the "Charms Bar Hint" feature. It doesn't disable the Charms Bar feature. If you want to disable Charms Bar completely, check out following tutorials:
If you are using Windows 8 Release Preview or previously released Windows 8 testing builds such as Developer Preview or Consumer Preview or may be recently released Windows 8 RTM build, you must be aware of new "Charms Bar" feature of Windows 8. Its similar to a dock utility and automatically appears on screen as soon as you move your mouse cursor to top-right corner or bottom-right corner of screen.
It provides quick access to following 5 system components: Search, Share, Start Screen, Devices and Settings.
You can also access Charms Bar using "Win+C" keyboard shortcut. Although Charms Bar was designed to help Windows 8 users in quickly accessing these system tools but sometimes it becomes quite annoying when you move the cursor to top-right corner of screen to close a window or other tasks and Charms Bar automatically appears on screen.
So today in this tutorial, we are going to share a simple Registry tweak which will help you in disabling Charms Bar hint in Windows 8. It'll not disable Charms Bar but it'll turn Charms Bar hint off, so Charms Bar will not appear as soon as you move the cursor to top-right or bottom-right corners. But it'll appear if you move the cursor to top-right corner and then move it downwards. Same case will happen with bottom-right corner. Also the hotkey "Win+C" will also show Charms Bar.
So if you apply this Registry tweak, you'll not accidentally get Charms Bar on screen. It'll only appear when you actually want it.
So without wasting time, lets start the tutorial:
1. Press "WIN+R" key combination to launch RUN dialog box then type regedit and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor and go to following key:
2. Under ImmersiveShell key, create a new key EdgeUI.
3. Now select newly created key "EdgeUI" and in right-side pane, create a new DWORD DisableCharmsHint and set its value to 1
4. That's it. It'll immediately disable Charms Bar hint feature. You'll not need to log off or restart the system.
NOTE: If you want to enable the Charms Bar hint feature again, simply delete the DWORD "DisableCharmsHint" or set its value to 0
PS: If you don't want to modify registry and want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run the extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
Thanks to our reader "DaNieL" for sharing this tweak...
Do you like Charms Bar feature of Windows 8 or you hate this annoying thing? Feel free to share your opinion in your comment...
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [AIO] Ultimate Tutorial to Customize Desktop Context Menu in Windows
- Add Event Sound to Mozilla Firefox Using PopupSound Extension
- [FIX] Internet Explorer Metro Tile Missing from Windows 8 Start Screen or Metro IE Doesn’t Start
- [Tip] Customize Microsoft Office Click-to-Run (C2R) Setup to Install Selected Programs Only
- [Review] What’s New in Microsoft Office 2016?
- How to Activate Hidden Side Panel Charm Using Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 8 Developer Preview?