We get frequent mails about this common problem in Windows Vista and 7. Sometimes Windows users face a strange problem, when:
- The "Compatibility" tab is missing in Properties window:
- System Restore doesn't open and shows following error message:
- Windows shows frequent Error Reporting messages.
- You face Performance Monitor, Inkball and Winamp related problems.
All these problems occur when 2 system files "wer.dll" and "Faultrep.dll" are missing from "%windir%\System32" folder. Either the files were deleted by mistake or were not installed by Windows because of removing some Windows components from the setup.
The solution of this problem is very simple. Just download following ZIP file, extract it and you'll get both system files. Now copy the files to "%windir%\System32" folder. If you get overwrite prompt message, select NO.
Once you copy the files to "System32" folder, your problem will be solved and you'll be able to get "Compatibility" tab back:
Also System Restore will work without any problem:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Use Mozilla Firefox Metro Version in Windows 8? Fix Metro App Launching Desktop Version
- Download Windows 8 Free Developer Preview
- [Tip] How to Modify System Files Using Resource Hacker in Windows
- How to Customize Windows 7 Login Screen Text Shadow and Button Transparency?
- [Guide] Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Windows Customization
- Simple Patch to Enable / Activate Aero Glass Theme in Windows Vista Home Basic Edition