[End of an Era] Winamp is Shutting Down on December 20, 2013
Do you remember the good old days when "Winamp" was one of the most popular and the best media player available for Windows? We all loved to use Winamp to play our favorite songs in Windows XP.
Winamp was an amazing media player for Windows XP. It was very lightweight, simple and easy to use program. It provided users ability to create playlists and change sound effects using built-in equalizer.
There were many other media players available such as Real Player, Jet Audio, etc but Winamp was the favorite of all.
But since when AOL acquired Winamp, the great media player started losing its charm. The later versions of Winamp were too much bloated. Winamp was popular because of its simple and clean UI. It provided only required features. But the new versions of Winamp were disaster and people stopped using Winamp.
Now there are very few people who are aware of Winamp media player and it seems the company has admitted it.
The company behind Winamp has announced that its going to shut down Winamp and related services on 20th December 2013. Here is the official announcement:
Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release. Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.
The latest version of Winamp is 5.66 and can be downloaded till 20th December 2013 from Winamp website.
Have you used Winamp in past? Will you miss the good old media player? Feel free to share your experience about Winamp with us...
Posted in: Software
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Add “Restore Ownership to TrustedInstaller” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows
- Download “Bing Desktop” Tool to Automatically Set Bing Homepage Background Image as Windows Desktop Wallpaper
- TheWorld: New Web Browser Based on Internet Explorer Rendering Engine
- [Direct Download Links] Full Standalone Offline Installers of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
- [Review] All About Resource Hacker, The Ultimate Windows Customization Tool
- [Windows 10 Start Menu] Review, Tips-n-Tricks and Customization