Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Mahjong” Game in Windows Vista and 7
This article will help you in enabling a few hidden menu items in Microsoft Mahjong game which comes pre-installed in Windows Vista and 7. These secret menu items will allow you to quickly customize tile set and board background in the game.
Recently we shared a detailed tutorial about revealing secret "Debug" menu in Windows Vista and 7 built-in games:
The above mentioned method requires editing of a system file using Resource Hacker tool. Its a bit complicated task and requires expertise to properly edit system file.
If you don't want to edit the file manually, we have also provided an already modified file at the end of this tutorial for your convenience. You just need to download the file and replace existing file in your Windows with this new one. That's it.
By default Mahjong game window looks like following screenshot:
And when you enable secret menu items, it looks like following:
As you can see, you get direct access to options for customizing tile set and board background.
How to Instructions:
Following are simple steps to follow to enable hidden secret "Debug" menu in Mahjong game in Windows Vista and 7:
1. First download and install Resource Hacker using following tutorial. The tutorial will also help you in learning how to use this awesome tool:
2. Now launch Resource Hacker and open following file in it:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Mahjong\en-US\Mahjong.exe.mui
Note 1: Here C: is the system drive where Windows is installed. If you installed Windows in any other partition, replace C: with that partition letter.
Note 2: "en-US" folder is found in English language Windows versions, if you have a different language version of Windows, replace en-US with your own localization string like fr-FR, etc.
3. Now expand Menu -> 103 and replace existing code in right-side pane with following code:
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
MENUITEM "&New Game\tF2", 40000
MENUITEM "&Undo\tCtrl+Z", 40001
MENUITEM "&Hint\tH", 40002
MENUITEM "&Statistics\tF4", 40003
MENUITEM "&Options\tF5", 40004
MENUITEM "Change &Appearance\tF7", 40005
POPUP "Change Tile Set"
MENUITEM "Traditional", 40048
MENUITEM "Primary Color", 40049
MENUITEM "Pastel", 40057
MENUITEM "Large Print", 40058
POPUP "Change Background"
MENUITEM "Sea Grass", 40050
MENUITEM "Green Felt", 40051
MENUITEM "Brown Felt", 40052
MENUITEM "Red Felt", 40053
MENUITEM "Blossom", 40055
MENUITEM "E&xit", 40006
MENUITEM "&View Help\tF1", 40015
MENUITEM "&About Mahjong Titans", 40016
MENUITEM "Get &More Games Online", 40020
4. Now click on "Compile Script" button and save the file.
5. That's it. Now launch the game and get ready to enjoy hidden secret menu items.
Download Already Modified MUI File:
If you don't want to modify the MUI file manually, you can download following ZIP file, extract it and you'll get already modified Mahjong.exe.mui file.
Download Link (for Windows 7)
Download Link (for Windows Vista)
You just need to replace existing .MUI file present in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Mahjong\en-US\ folder with this new one.
To replace default file, first rename it to some other name like Mahjong_backup.exe.mui and then copy and paste new downloaded Mahjong.exe.mui file in this folder.
NOTE: If you don't see secret menu items after replacing the file, do as following:
1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Start Menu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".
2. Now type mcbuilder and press Enter. Wait for a few seconds to finish the command process and then restart your system.
Now you should get new secret menu items without any problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Did You Know] Collection of Some Simple and Easy to Use Tips and Tricks for Windows Explorer
- [Tip] Enable Full Restricted Mode in Internet Explorer Web Browser
- How to Disable Animation in Tab Groups (Panorama) in Mozilla Firefox
- Download Windows 8 RTM Theme for Windows XP
- [Exclusive] Now Its Possible to Add New Working Shortcuts to Windows 8 “Win+X” Menu
- “Windows Experience Pack” Available for Windows XP, Vista and 7