Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Hearts” Game in Windows Vista and 7
This article will help you in enabling a hidden secret "Debug" menu in Microsoft Hearts game which comes pre-installed in Windows Vista and 7. This secret "Debug" menu will allow you to cheat in the game. You can instant win, lose, enable autoplay, show hands, quickly customize card deck and board background using this new secret menu.
Recently we shared a detailed tutorial about revealing secret "Debug" menu in Windows Vista and 7 built-in games:
The above mentioned method requires editing of a system file using Resource Hacker tool. Its a bit complicated task and requires expertise to properly edit system file.
If you don't want to edit the file manually, we have also provided an already modified file at the end of this tutorial for your convenience. You just need to download the file and replace existing file in your Windows with this new one. That's it.
By default Hearts game window looks like following screenshot:
And when you enable secret "Debug" menu, it looks like following:
As you can see, the new "Debug" menu allows you to force win, force lose, show hands, enable autoplay (computer plays for you) and many other things in the game which are not accessible without using this hack.
And that's not all. You also get direct access to options for customizing card deck and board background as shown in following screenshot:
How to Instructions:
Following are simple steps to follow to enable hidden secret "Debug" menu in Hearts game in Windows Vista and 7:
1. First download and install Resource Hacker using following tutorial. The tutorial will also help you in learning how to use this awesome tool:
2. Now launch Resource Hacker and open following file in it:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Hearts\en-US\Hearts.exe.mui
Note 1: Here C: is the system drive where Windows is installed. If you installed Windows in any other partition, replace C: with that partition letter.
Note 2: "en-US" folder is found in English language Windows versions, if you have a different language version of Windows, replace en-US with your own localization string like fr-FR, etc.
3. Now expand Menu -> 102 and replace existing code in right-side pane with following code:
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
MENUITEM "&New Game\tF2", 40001
MENUITEM "&Statistics\tF4", 40003
MENUITEM "&Options\tF5", 40004
MENUITEM "Change &Appearance\tF7", 40002
POPUP "Change Card Deck"
MENUITEM "Classic Deck", 65279
MENUITEM "Hearts Deck", 65280
MENUITEM "Seasons Deck", 65281
MENUITEM "Large Print Deck", 65285
POPUP "Change Background"
MENUITEM "Classic Felt", 65282
MENUITEM "Red Hearts", 65283
MENUITEM "Green Nature", 65284
MENUITEM "Red Felt", 40038
MENUITEM "Brown Felt", 40039
MENUITEM "E&xit", 40005
MENUITEM "&View Help\tF1", 40024
MENUITEM "&About Hearts", 40007
MENUITEM "Get &More Games Online", 40018
MENUITEM "Win", 40027
MENUITEM "Lose", 40028
MENUITEM "Show Hands", 40037
MENUITEM "Hide Hands", 40036
MENUITEM "AutoPlay", 40033
MENUITEM "Disable AutoPlay", 40031
4. Now click on "Compile Script" button and save the file.
5. That's it. Now launch the game and get ready to enjoy hidden "Debug" menu.
Download Already Modified MUI File:
If you don't want to modify the MUI file manually, you can download following ZIP file, extract it and you'll get already modified Hearts.exe.mui file.
Download Link (for Windows 7)
Download Link (for Windows Vista)
You just need to replace existing .MUI file present in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Hearts\en-US\ folder with this new one.
To replace default file, first rename it to some other name like Hearts_backup.exe.mui and then copy and paste new downloaded Hearts.exe.mui file in this folder.
NOTE: If you don't see the "Debug" menu after replacing the file, do as following:
1. Click on "Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories". Right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator". If you are prompted to enter password, enter the password and continue. You can also open Command Prompt in Administrator mode by typing "cmd" in Start Menu Search box and press "Ctrl+Shift+Enter".
2. Now type mcbuilder and press Enter. Wait for a few seconds to finish the command process and then restart your system.
Now you should get "Debug" menu without any problem.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Tata Sky and Dish TV Review] Comparison Between Two Major DTH Services in India
- How to Disable or Customize “Backspace Key” in Mozilla Firefox?
- [Tip] Hide / Remove Search Box and Up Button from Windows 8 and 8.1 Explorer
- Best Free Alternatives to Notepad
- Norton Labs Announces New Vista User Account Control (UAC) Tool
- How to Activate Hidden Side Panel Charm Using Keyboard Shortcut in Windows 8 Developer Preview?