Download Windows 8 Login Screen for Windows 7
Almost all of us are aware of Microsoft's upcoming OS Windows 8. Windows 8 comes with lots of new features and GUI changes like new boot screen, login screen, start screen, etc.
Windows 8 login screen is very simple and doesn't feature any eye candy effects like Aero glass reflection, aurora effect, etc. Today we are going to share Windows 8 look-like login screen for Windows 7 users.
This login screen has been created by "PeterRollar" @ DA. This login screen replaces default login screen of Windows 7 with new Windows 8 login screen which looks like following screenshot:
Please NOTE that this login screen can only be used in Windows 7 with SP1 operating system. DO NOT try it if you don't have Service Pack 1 in your Windows 7 system. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available.
To enjoy this login screen in Windows 7, you just need to follow these simple steps:
1. First download following file:
Extract the downloaded RAR file using 7-Zip or WinRAR and you'll get 2 folders:
- x64 (64-bit) Files
- x86 (32-bit) Files
Windows 7 32-bit users will need to use files present in "x86 (32-bit) Files" folder and Windows 7 64-bit users will need to use files present in "x64 (64-bit) Files" folder.
Both folders contains following 2 files which are required to have Windows 8 look-like login screen in Windows 7:
"authui.dll" file is the main file which will provide Windows 8 login screen in Windows 7. "basebrd.dll" file will only replace Windows 7 branding logo which is displayed in bottom-center of login screen with new Windows 8 branding logo.
2. After extracting the downloaded file, go to "C:\Windows\System32" folder and take ownership of authui.dll file. To take ownership, you can take help of following tutorials:
- How to Add "Take Ownership" Option to File or Folder Context Menu in Windows XP, Vista and 7
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
PS: We assume that you have installed Windows 7 in C: drive, if its installed in some other drive in your system, change C:\ to that drive letter.
3. Once you have taken ownership of the file, rename it to some other name like authui_bak.dll
4. Now copy new authui.dll file from the extracted folder to "C:\Windows\System32" folder.
NOTE: 64-bit Windows users will also need to replace "authui.dll" file present in "C:\Windows\SysWOW64" folder.
5. Now go to "C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd" folder and take ownership of basebrd.dll file.
6. Once you have taken ownership of the file, rename it to some other name like basebrd_bak.dll
7. Now copy new basebrd.dll file from the extracted folder to "C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd" folder.
8. At last set the "Background.jpg" file present in the downloaded archive as login screen background with the help of following articles:
- How to Customize Windows 7 Login Screen without Using 3rd Party Software?
- Ultimate Collection of the Best Free Tools to Customize Windows 7 Login Screen
9. That's it. Windows will start using the new files and you'll enjoy Windows 8 login screen in Windows 7.
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Windows 10 Creators Update (RS2) Changelog
- Windows 8.1 Releases to Manufacturing (RTM), General Availability on October 17th, 2013
- 3 Application Compatibility Registry Tweaks to Boost Windows Vista and Windows 7 Performance
- How to Disable Password Complexity Requirements in Windows Server OS?
- [Fix] “Something Happened” Error Message in Windows 10 Upgrade
- [Fix] “SecureBoot isn’t Configured Correctly” Watermark Showing on Windows 8.1 Desktop