UPDATE: New AeroVG Ei8ht.1ne RTM theme released for Windows 8.1 which comes in 4 new styles: Round & Clear, Round & Shiny, Square & Clear and Square & Shiny.
If you don't know about AeroVG theme, its one of the most popular and most used themes for Windows Vista and Windows 7. AeroVG theme was first released for Windows Vista and later a special version of this theme AeroVG Se7en was released for Windows 7. AeroVG theme is the one and only 3rd party theme which has been featured officially by Microsoft at Technet and MSDN blogs.
AeroVG theme was created to provide more transparency and glass effects in Windows Vista and 7. It featured shiny blue progressbar and transparent addressbar and search box in Windows Explorer. The main purpose behind creation of AeroVG theme was to provide clean and smooth transparency effects in Windows UI.
Ever since we started posting tutorials about Windows 8 and 8.1, many of our readers have asked us to release the same AeroVG theme for Windows 8 and 8.1 and finally the day has come. Thanks to our DA friend "supershadow124" for porting our AeroVG Se7en theme for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.
We are pleased to release 2 new themes "AeroVG Ei8ht" and "AeroVG Ei8ht.1ne" which are the exclusive versions of our popular AeroVG Se7en theme for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 respectively. These themes will provide same UI effects and look-n-feel in Windows 8 and 8.1 as AeroVG Se7en theme provided in Windows 7.
Following is a preview of these themes running in action:
- Aero glass transparency in Start Menu and Taskbar *
- Aero glass transparency in Windows Explorer titlebar and navigation toolbar *
- Complete transparent addressbar and search box in Windows Explorer
- New menubar
- Shiny blue progressbar and hard disk drive meter in Windows Explorer
- Glow effect in addressbar and search box in Windows Explorer
- Nice glow and shadow effect in system tray
- New titlebar buttons and round/square frame borders in windows
- Aero glass transparent skin for Start Menu
- Many other eye candy effects
* You'll need extra tools to enjoy these effects.
If you are ready to enjoy these awesome themes in Windows 8 or 8.1, check out following simple steps:
Download Link and How to Use Instructions
1. First of all download these themes using following links:
PS: You'll find the download links in the right-side section of the above mentioned pages.
2. After downloading extract the downloaded ZIP file using 7-Zip or other archive utilities and you'll get the main .theme file and its folder.
3. Now make sure you have patched Windows to allow use of custom 3rd party themes. If you are not aware of the patch, check out following tutorial to learn how to patch Windows to use 3rd party themes:
4. After patching Windows, copy .theme file and folder to "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\" folder as mentioned in the above tutorial.
5. At last apply the new theme using Desktop personalization window and get ready to enjoy this awesome theme in Windows 8 or 8.1.
How to Apply and Use StartIsBack Start Menu Skin
The "AeroVG Ei8ht.1ne" theme also contains an extra folder "Skin for StartIsBack" which contains a special version of the theme created specifically for users who use 3rd party software "StartIsBack" to enable Windows 7 Start Menu in Windows 8/8.1. If you are using this software, you can enjoy this skin with the help of following simple steps:
1. Type appdata in RUN or Start Search and press Enter. Now go to following folder:
2. Now copy "AeroVG Ei8ht.1ne RTM.msstyles" file from "Skin for StartIsBack" folder present in the downloaded archive and paste it into above mentioned "Styles" folder.
3. Now right-click on StartIsBack Start Menu and select Properties option. It'll open StartIsBack configuration window. Go to "Appearance" tab, select "AeroVG 8.1 RTM" skin and click on Apply button.
That's it. Now you can enjoy the new Aero glass transparent AeroVG skin in Start Menu as well.
Advanced Tips to Get Aero Glass Transparency and Other Effects
Microsoft has removed Aero glass transparency from Windows Explorer in Windows 8 and 8.1. If you want to enjoy Aero glass transparency in this theme, you'll need to use following freeware:
If you want to get Windows 7 style Explorer features in Windows 8 and 8.1 such as Commandbar instead of Ribbon, Details pane at bottom, etc, you can use following freeware:
And if you want to bring Start Menu back in Windows 8 and 8.1, check out following must have freeware for Windows:
That's all for now. These themes are absolutely safe to use in Windows 8 or 8.1. If you face any problem in applying the theme, feel free to ask us in your comment. Also let us know your feedback about these themes in your comment...
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Chess” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Enable New Tab Feature in Older Yahoo! Messenger Versions?
- How to Adjust Taskbar Thumbnail Delay Time in Windows 7
- [Fix] ICO Files Not Showing their Icons in Windows Explorer
- [FAQ] Things to Know Before Downloading or Installing Windows 8.1 Preview
- [Guide] How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?