UPDATE: New version 3.6.6 released which comes with a new option to disable Taskbar transparency. Please scroll down to read the changelog.
The most annoying problem which Windows Vista and Windows 7 users face is the removal of classic toolbar buttons e.g. Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, etc. Windows Vista and 7 Explorer doesn't provide these basic toolbar buttons and users have to use keyboard shortcuts keys or menus to perform these operations.
Another annoying problem in Windows 7 is the removal of Classic Start menu. Windows 7 doesn't contain the good old Classic start menu. It only provides Vista like new Start menu.
Today we are going to share an awesome free utility which brings back the Classic Start menu in Windows 7. It also adds good old Explorer toolbar buttons in Windows Vista and 7.
"Classic Shell" is a free small utility which provides:
- Classic Start menu in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- Classic Explorer toolbar buttons (Cut, Copy, Paste, etc) in Windows Vista, 7 and 8
- Classic IE9 (titlebar text and progressbar in statusbar)
Following are a few screenshots of Classic Shell in action:
Classic Start menu:
NOTE: You can access the default Windows 7 Start menu by pressing "SHIFT" key while clicking on the Start ORB (Start button). You can also change Classic Start menu settings by going to "Settings -> Classic Start Menu" option.
Classic Explorer toolbar buttons, XP style navigation pane, titlebar text and icon:
Its highly customizable, so you can select which buttons should appear in Explorer toolbar by clicking on the "Classic Explorer Settings" button present at last of the toolbar in Explorer.
If you don't get the Classic toolbar in Explorer after installing the utility, press "ALT" key to show Menubar, right-click on it and select "Classic Explorer Bar" option.
Following are a few exclusive features of Classic Shell which you should definitely know about:
- Skips Metro Start Screen and Boots Directly into Desktop in Windows 8
- Brings back Start button and Start Menu in Windows 8
- Disables Hot Corners (Charms Bar, Start Screen Thumbnail, App Switch List) in Windows 8
- Brings back Classic Start Menu in Windows 7
- Can enable XP style cascading "All Programs" list in Windows Vista and 7
- Can hide user picture in Start Menu
- Can bring back XP style navigation pane and standard toolbar in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Fixes Windows 7 folder scrolling bug where a folder moves to bottom after its expanded
- Shows Up button and titlebar text, icon in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Can disable Addressbar breadcrumb and search box in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Fixes status bar in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Can bring back shared folder overlay icon in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Can show sort headers in all folder views in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Replaces file and folder conflict dialog boxes in file operation process
- Can always show more details in file copy, move, delete progress dialog box
- Can disable Taskbar transparency
- Enables titlebar text and website loading progressbar in Internet Explorer 9 statusbar
Now a new version 3.6.6 of Classic Shell has been released which comes with following changes:
- New setting to disable Taskbar transparency
- Improved compatibility with future versions of Windows
- Fixed some bugs found in the previous version
You can download it using following link:
Thanks to our reader "Mark Tempe" for the update...