Classic Shell 4.2.5: Get Classic Start Menu, Classic IE and Explorer Toolbar Buttons Back in Windows 7 and Later
UPDATE: New version 4.2.5 released which comes with many new features and improved support for Windows 10. Please scroll down to read the complete changelog.
The most annoying problem faced by Windows Vista or later OS users is the removal of classic toolbar buttons e.g. Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, etc. Windows Explorer in new Windows versions doesn't provide these basic toolbar buttons and users have to use keyboard shortcuts keys or menus to perform these operations.
Another annoying problem is the removal of Classic Start menu. New Windows versions don't contain the good old Classic start menu.
Today we are going to share an awesome free utility which brings back the Classic Start menu in Windows Vista and later Windows versions. It also adds good old Explorer toolbar buttons in Windows.
"Classic Shell" is a free small utility which provides:
- Classic Start Menu
- Classic Windows Explorer toolbar buttons (Cut, Copy, Paste, etc)
- Classic IE (titlebar text, progressbar in statusbar in Internet Explorer)
Following are a few screenshots of Classic Shell in action:
Classic Start menu:
NOTE: You can access the default Windows 7 Start menu by pressing "SHIFT" key while clicking on the Start ORB (Start button). You can also change Classic Start menu settings by going to "Settings -> Classic Start Menu" option.
Classic Explorer toolbar buttons, XP style navigation pane, titlebar text and icon:
Its highly customizable, so you can select which buttons should appear in Explorer toolbar by clicking on the "Classic Explorer Settings" button present at last of the toolbar in Explorer.
If you don't get the Classic toolbar in Explorer after installing the utility, press "ALT" key to show Menubar, right-click on it and select "Classic Explorer Bar" option.
Following are a few exclusive features of Classic Shell which you should definitely know about:
- Skips Metro Start Screen and Boots Directly into Desktop in Windows 8
- Brings back Start button and Start Menu in Windows 8
- Disables Hot Corners (Charms Bar, Start Screen Thumbnail, App Switch List) in Windows 8
- Brings back Classic Start Menu in Windows 7
- Can enable XP style cascading "All Programs" list in Windows Vista and 7
- Can hide user picture in Start Menu
- Can bring back XP style navigation pane and standard toolbar in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Fixes Windows 7 folder scrolling bug where a folder moves to bottom after its expanded
- Shows Up button and titlebar text, icon in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Can disable Addressbar breadcrumb and search box in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Fixes status bar in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Can bring back shared folder overlay icon in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Can show sort headers in all folder views in Windows Vista and 7 Explorer
- Replaces file and folder conflict dialog boxes in file operation process
- Can always show more details in file copy, move, delete progress dialog box
- Can disable Taskbar transparency
- Enables titlebar text and website loading progressbar in Internet Explorer 9 statusbar
Now a new version 4.2.5 of Classic Shell has been released which comes with following changes:
- Improved support for Windows 10 November Update (Build 10586 or Threshold 2)
- Improved support for the Microsoft Edge web browser
- Improved search performance and responsiveness
- New feature to uninstall Metro (Modern) apps from the Start Menu
- Full transparency support for Metro and Midnight skins
You can download the latest version of Classic Shell using following link:
NOTE: Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 are no longer supported by this new version. Version 3.6.8 was the last version to support them. Windows Vista users can download the old version using following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Review] What’s New in Windows 8?
- ShadowExplorer: Browse Through Shadow Copies in All Windows Vista Versions
- How to Apply and Safely Use Custom User Interface (Shell or Explorer) in Windows?
- Pidgin: Multi-Protocol Instant Messaging Client to Use All IM Accounts At Once
- Windows 10 Release Date, Pricing Details and System Requirements
- [Fix] Windows 7 is not Genuine Error Message, Make It Original and Activated Again