Imagine a situation where you need to install Windows Vista or Windows 7 in a system but you don't have access to DVD drive. We all know Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 come in DVDs and you'll need a DVD drive to install them. Then how will you install them? The solution is, you can create a bootable USB drive which can be used to install Windows without using DVD drive.
We have posted a detailed tutorial to create such bootable USB drive long time back, you can read about it at following link:
The above method is very easy to follow but wouldn't it be great if we can use a utility to do the whole task automatically? Our reader "Aris" has created a small utility "A Bootable USB" exclusively for AskVG readers which creates bootable USB drive to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Server 2008.
- A USB Drive (4 GB or more)
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Server 2008 ISO image or DVD (Check link 1 and link 2)
- Host OS: Windows Vista (SP1 or SP2), Server 2008 or Windows 7
How to Use:
Once you meet the requirements, run the utility. Its a portable utility so doesn't need installation.
The utility requires only 4 easy steps to follow:
- Check USB drive (to check whether your USB drive is attached or not)
- Format USB drive
- Choose DVD or ISO image (to copy the required files to USB drive)
- Start the process (to create bootable USB drive)
It works in both 32-bit as well as 64-bit Windows versions.
You can download the utility using following link:
NOTE: If you face problem while formatting the USB drive, click on "Options" button and then select "QUICK" option.
PS: We are pleased to announce that this tool has been featured by various websites including Lifehacker and Microsoft. It has also been featured in various tech magazines such as official Windows magazine and a few German magazines. Recently it was also included in a textbook of secondary education of computing printed by Oxford University Press of Spain.
You can also take a look at some other similar freeware to create bootable USB drives to install Windows at following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Transform Windows 7 into Windows 8 RTM without using Customization Pack
- How to Get Windows Media Player (WMP) 12 Taskbar Toolbar (Taskband) Back in Windows 7 and Later?
- Windows 8 will Boot Faster than Previous Windows Versions, Microsoft Confirms
- [Direct Download Links] Full Standalone Offline Installers of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
- Download Windows 8 Start Screen Full for Windows XP, Vista and 7
- How to Fix Arrow Keys Navigation Problem in Mozilla Firefox?