Imagine a situation where you need to install Windows Vista or Windows 7 in a system but you don't have access to DVD drive. We all know Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 come in DVDs and you'll need a DVD drive to install them. Then how will you install them? The solution is, you can create a bootable USB drive which can be used to install Windows without using DVD drive.
We have posted a detailed tutorial to create such bootable USB drive long time back, you can read about it at following link:
The above method is very easy to follow but wouldn't it be great if we can use a utility to do the whole task automatically? Our reader "Aris" has created a small utility exclusively for AskVG readers which creates a bootable USB drive to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Server 2008.
- A USB Drive (4 GB or more)
- Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Server 2008 ISO image or DVD
- Host OS: Windows Vista (SP1 or SP2), Server 2008 or 7
How to Use:
Once you meet the requirements, run the utility. Its a portable utility so doesn't need installation.
The utility requires only 4 easy steps to follow:
- Check USB drive (To check whether your USB drive is attached or not)
- Format USB drive
- Choose DVD or ISO image (To copy the required files to USB drive)
- Start the process to create bootable USB drive
PS: It also works in 64-bit Windows versions.
NOTE: If you face problem while formatting the USB drive, click on "Options" button and then select "QUICK" option.
PS: We are pleased to announce that this tool has been featured by various websites including Lifehacker and Microsoft. It has also been featured in various magazines such as official Windows magazine and a few German magazines. Recently it was also included in a textbook of secondary education of computing printed by Oxford University Press of Spain.
You can also take a look at some other similar free tools to create bootable USB drives to install Windows using following link:
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Microsoft Provides Bootable Repair Disk to Fix Windows 7 Restart Problems
- How to Enable New Ctrl+Tab Preview Thumbnails List in Mozilla Firefox?
- Panda Cloud Free Antivirus 2.0 Released, Download Link Inside
- Default Programs Editor: Yet Another Free Alternative to Windows Default File Type Option
- How to Remove “Favorites” from Windows 7 Explorer Navigation Pane?
- What are the Benefits of Windows Live ID Integration in Windows 8?