Windows 8.1 August Update (aka Update 2) Now Available for Download
UPDATE: Recently Microsoft pulled August Update files because a few users were facing various issues such as BSOD, font rendering issues, etc after installing these updates. Now Microsoft has re-released August Update with fixes for those issues.
The KB number of August update is KB2975719 and its available for both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows 8.1 operating system as well as Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows RT 8.1. Please keep in mind that this update is not a major update. It'll bring various performance and stability improvements to the OS.
A few important features included in this update are as following:
More information added in Windows Update:
After installing August update, Windows will show new information in PC Settings -> Windows Update about the most recent check for updates and the last updates installation date.
Precision touchpad improvements:
August update adds following new options in user settings to improve touch pad precision:
- Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected
- Allow right-clicks on the touchpad
- Double-tap and drag
These settings can be found in PC Settings -> PC and devices -> Mouse and touchpad page.
Ruble symbol update:
This update also adds new Ruble currency support for input and rendering.
Out-of-date ActiveX control blocking:
To improve your system security, Internet Explorer will block out-of-date ActiveX controls in webpages. It'll help you in browsing safely on Internet. Internet Explorer will also direct you to update the out-of-date controls so you can safely interact with their most recent versions.
This update provides a set of Wi-Fi direct APIs for Hardware Vendors and OEM companies to develop Windows 32-bit applications that can run on all supported 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows 8.1 and can enable the Windows 8.1 computer as a Miracast receiver.
Video capture metadata for MP4:
This feature will allow developers to read and write the "Date taken" and GPS data on MP4 files by using Windows Runtime and Win32 APIs.
Minimizing login prompts for SharePoint Online:
This update reduces the number of login prompts while accessing SharePoint Online sites. If the user enables the "Keep me signed in" check box while logging on for the first time, he'll not see prompts for successive access to that SharePoint Online site.
August update also fixes following annoying issues reported by users:
- Blank icon in the Jump List after the application is updated in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- You cannot sign in to a web application when you use certificate authentication method in Windows Server 2012 R2
- Task name is deleted after you link a storage report to a scheduled task in Windows
- Too few tiles are displayed during image customization in Windows
- Can't disable security settings in Group Policy Preferences for Internet Explorer 10
- USB device remove and install repeatedly when it is connected to a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer
- USB device appears with a yellow exclamation mark in Windows Device Manager in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Clicking "Find more" under mobile broadband causes Searching status to freeze in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
- Account picture shifts to right side after you unlock a computer from an application in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1
- "0x0000009F" Stop error occurs on a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer
- Properties of an item opens randomly when you double-click the item in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Computer does not wake when you disconnect AC power from the Windows 8.1-based or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer
- "Set as metered connection" setting for Wi-Fi and MBB connections remains in Off state in Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1
- Windows Store app still reacts to search text when you delete the text in Search charm in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1
- Browser icons cannot be unpinned from taskbar when you change the default browser in Windows RT 8.1 or Windows 8.1
- Delay in turning on display when you reopen lid of a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based portable computer
- PDF file pages are blank when you open the file by using a Windows Store app in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2
- Desktop isn't shown correctly when network icon in notification area is changed repeatedly in 64-bit version of Windows
August update is already available via Windows Update. If you want to download the update directly from Microsoft servers for offline use, you can download it using following links:
There are 5 update files available for download on each page:
You need to download and install all of them.
Windows RT 8.1 users will need to download the update only from Windows Update.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Trillian Instant Messenger: Keep in Touch with Friends on All Major IM and Social Network
- How to Leave Windows Insider Program in Windows 10?
- [Software Update] CCleaner 5.22 Now Available for Download
- Windows Blue will be Called Windows 8.1 and will be a Free Update to Windows 8
- [Windows 10 Tip] Change Downloads Folder Location in Microsoft Edge Browser
- Get Windows 8 Look-Like Ribbon UI in Windows XP, Vista and 7 Explorer using Styler Skin