Waiting to Download Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2?
It's been more than 2 years since Microsoft released Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Since then all Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 users are waiting for Service Pack 2 (SP2). Actually there are 100+ new updates and hotfixes which have been released after Service Pack 1 and if a user installs fresh Windows 7 with SP1 in a computer system, he'll need to waste a lot of Internet connection bandwidth to download and install all these 100+ post SP1 updates.
There were rumors that Microsoft has decided to discontinue service packs for Windows OS. Instead the company will follow faster Windows iterations process such as Windows 8.1, 8.2 and so on. These Windows iterations are supposed to replace Service Packs for Windows OS. But these are rumors, Microsoft has not officially announced any such news.
If these rumors are true and if Microsoft will not release SP2 for Windows 7, then what will existing Windows 7 users do? Because Microsoft has not released or talked about SP2 for Windows 7 yet, so people have started believing this rumor.
Don't worry! If you are still using Windows 7, here is something interesting for you. Although this news is a little bit old but as they say better late than never. Thanks to our reader "j_veen" for sharing this useful piece of information with us.
As a part of Patch Tuesday program, Microsoft has released an ultimate collection of hotfixes and updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1. Its a single pack which contains 90 hotfixes focused on performance and stability which were released after Service Pack 1 (SP1) so you can consider it as Service Pack 2 (kind of) for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. Basically these hotfixes improve overall performance and system reliability of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 based computer system.
According to Microsoft, this hotfix rollup includes following improvements:
- Improves the Windows Client Remote File System components such as Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV), DFSN client, Folder Redirection, Offline Files and Folders (CSC), SMB client, Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem (RDB) and Multiple UNC Provider (MUP).
- Improves the SMB Service and TCP protocol components.
- Improves the processing of Group Policies and Group Policy preferences.
- Improves the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) components to reduce the CPU usage and to improve the repository verification performance.
In other words, this hotfix pack will make your Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 based computer system faster and more stable.
According to Microsoft, this hotfix rollup primarily addresses the issues that occur on domain-joined client computers and servers. Therefore, this hotfix rollup is available only from the Microsoft Update Catalog and not from Windows Updates.
You can download this hotfix rollup using following link:
NOTE: The link will only work in Internet Explorer web browser.
Separate hotfixes packs are available for different Windows editions such as:
- Windows 7 (32-bit or x86)
- Windows 7 (64-bit or x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit or x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (IA64 or Itanium-based systems)
Just go to above mentioned link, select the correct hotfix pack and click on "Add" button. At last click on "View basket" link and then click on "Download" button. It'll ask for a location to download and store the file. Provide desired drive or folder path and start downloading the hotfix pack.
Did you already know about this hotfix pack? Do you also think that Microsoft will never release SP2 for Windows 7 or you are among those people who are eagerly waiting for Windows 7 SP2? Feel free to share your comment with us...
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Freeware to Show Christmas Tree on Your Windows Desktop
- How to Completely Uninstall / Remove a Software Program in Windows without using 3rd Party Software?
- [Windows 10 Tip] Change Downloads Folder Location in Microsoft Edge Browser
- [Fix] “Secure Connection Failed” Problem in Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
- Download Windows Essentials 2012 (Wave 5) Full Standalone Offline Installers
- Download Windows Vista Dark Theme “VistaVG Black” for Windows XP