[Tip] Reclaim Free Space by Removing Old Windows Updates Files in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1
Whenever you install a new software program, browse the Internet, copy or download songs, videos, images in your computer system, you actually fill your hard disk space with lots of data. If you are using Windows operating system, it regularly downloads and installs security updates and hotfixes to keep your computer safe which also store lots of data on your hard disk.
Many times your computer hard disk might run out of space and you might want to get some extra free space on your hard disk to store new data, in such conditions you may delete several temporary files and clear your web browser cache, etc to reclaim free space as shown in following exclusive tutorial:
With the help of all these tips about removing temporary files, you may get some good amount of free hard disk space but there are some more places on your hard disk which contain a huge amount of outdated files which can be safely removed to get approx. 3-4 GB free space on your hard disk.
Surprised? Here are some interesting details! "WinSxS" is a mysterious folder present in "C:\Windows\" directory which might occupy a few GB space on your hard disk depending upon the updates and drivers installed in your Windows OS. Its also known as "Component Store". Whenever a new update or driver is installed in your system, the previous updates and files are automatically moved to WinSxS folder for future uses. Its done for the sake of reliability. If some files get corrupted in future or if you decide to restore previous version of an update or driver, the backup files present in WinSxS folder are used for restoring.
Its good for compatibility and reliability point of view but the folder size gets increased with time and you have no option to clean this folder. So the question comes! How to clean WinSxS folder? Can we delete files and folders present in WinSxS folder to save some space?
The answer is YES. You can clean the outdated Windows updates and other temporary files from WinSxS folder with the help of the good old "Disk Cleanup Wizard" tool. This tool allows you to clean various places of your hard disk to reclaim free space. It comes with several options to select and one of these options is "Windows Update Cleanup" which deletes older versions of updates that are no longer needed and taking up space on your hard disk.
Today in this tutorial, we'll tell you how to use Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 to remove outdated Windows updates to reclaim free space on your hard disk:
Windows Update Cleanup in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1:
1. Open Computer or This PC window and right-click on C: drive and select "Properties" option.
2. It'll open C: drive properties window. Click on "Disk Cleanup" button.
3. It'll take a few seconds in calculating how much free space will you get after removing temporary files. Once the calculation is done, it'll open Disk Cleanup window.
4. Now click on "Clean up system files" button.
5. Again it'll take a few seconds in free space calculation and you'll get the advanced Disk Cleanup window. Here you can select the desired options and make sure to select "Windows Update Cleanup" option which will help you in getting a huge amount of free space on your hard disk.
6. That's it. Once you select the desired options, click on "OK" button. It'll ask for confirmation, click on "Delete Files" button to accept the confirmation.
The wizard will take a few minutes/seconds depending upon the file size and once the cleaning operation completes, you'll get a good amount of free space on your hard disk.
Windows Update Cleanup in Windows 7:
If you are using Windows 7, you'll need to download and install a new update which will add this useful option "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup tool. By default, Windows 7 doesn't come with this option.
Just download the required update from following links:
The download requires genuine Windows validation check. For our readers, we are also sharing direct download links of these updates:
Download and install the update and restart your system. After reboot, open Disk Cleanup wizard using the same steps given above for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems and you'll be able to remove outdated Windows updates to save space on your hard disk.
NOTE: The "Windows Update Cleanup" option in Disk Cleanup tool only appears if the wizard detects unnecessary Windows updates stored on your system. If it doesn't find any outdated update in your system, you'll not see "Windows Update Cleanup" option.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Disable New One-Click Search Bar and Restore Classic Search Box in Mozilla Firefox?
- How to Remove Annoying Common Tasks (Details Pane) from Desktop in Windows XP?
- Recuva: Download One of the Best Free Data Recovery Software for Windows
- [Windows 10 Tip] Add, Remove, Rename or Change Shortcuts on the Bottom-Left of Start Menu
- [Tip] Enable Full Restricted Mode in Internet Explorer Web Browser
- Get Windows 7 Look-Like Desktop Context Menu in XP, Add “View”, “Screen Resolution”, “Gadgets” & “Personalize” Options