[Tip] Organize Windows 8 Start Screen Tiles in Groups and Name These Groups
Everyone knows that Microsoft has replaced Start Menu with Windows Phone style Start Screen in new Windows 8 OS. This new Start Screen shows live tiles of installed and built-in programs in a full screen view. You can click on the tiles to launch the programs.
You can add or remove tiles, you can move tiles and you can resize the tiles according to your requirements. We have posted a detailed guide for using new Start Screen in past which can be found at following link:
One thing which many Windows 8 users don't know is that you can organize these tiles in new groups and also you can name these groups. It helps in finding programs easily and quickly in Start Screen.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you how to create new app groups in Windows 8 Start Screen and how to name these groups. So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:
1. Go to Start Screen by pressing WIN key and click-n-drag a tile which you want to put in a new group. Drop it in a blank space of Start Screen and Windows will create a new group for it. Now you can drag-n-drop other tiles near it to put them in the same group.
2. Now its turn of naming groups. To name groups, click on the small dash or minus (-) icon present at the bottom-right corner of Start Screen as shown in following screenshot:
3. It'll show Start Screen in overview mode where the tiles are shown as small icons. Here you can also change position of the groups. Just drag-n-drop the entire group at your desired position.
To set group names, right-click on desired group and a new panel will appear at bottom. Click on "Name group" option present in the panel as shown in following screenshot:
4. Type your desired name in the given text box and click on "Name" button. It'll immediately set the name to group. Repeat the same process for other desired groups.
5. Once you finish the process, click anywhere in the blank space and it'll return to normal Start Screen. Now you'll see the names of the groups as shown in following screenshot:
6. If you want to remove group names in future, repeat the same process which you followed for setting group names and when Windows asks you to set a name for group, click on the cross (x) icon present in the text box and then click on "Name" button. It'll remove the group name.
That's it. Creating groups and setting group names helps in organizing tiles on Start Screen. You can find this feature similar to creating folders or categories of program shortcuts in good old Start Menu present in previous Windows versions...
You can also check out following exclusive video showing how to use Windows 8 Start Screen like a pro:
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Restore “Close Multiple Tabs” Warning Message (Confirmation Prompt) in Internet Explorer?
- PIN / Password of Signal Setup in Tech Settings of DEN Set Top Box
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Solitaire” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- How to Remove “Send Feedback” Link in Windows 7 Beta?
- Is Windows Vista SP3 Coming? List of All Updates and Hotfixes Ready for SP3 Inside
- Border Skin: Get Windows Vista and 7 Style Aero Glass Effect with Blur and Reflection in Windows XP