How to Remove Search Box from New Tab Page in Internet Explorer?
Recently we told you that Microsoft has released a new update for Internet Explorer 11 which adds Bing Search box on New Tab page of Internet Explorer.
The new Search box might be useful for many users but some people find it inconvenient and useless as the same functionality is also present in Internet Explorer address bar. The new Search box is just a placeholder, it does nothing except moving the focus to the address bar.
Also for some people, this new Search box adds an annoying scrollbar to the right-side of the web browser and they have to scroll each time they want to access other available options on New Tab page such as reopen last session, start InPrivate browsing, etc.
If you are also using Internet Explorer 11 and want to get rid of the Search box from New Tab page, this tutorial will help you.
Today in this tutorial, we are going to share 2 ways to remove the Search box from Internet Explorer New Tab page.
After following this tutorial, the Search box will no longer be visible on New Tab page as shown in following screenshot:
So without wasting time lest start the tutorial:
- METHOD 1: By disabling search functionality in address bar and new tab page
- METHOD 2: By settings a different search engine as default
METHOD 1: By Disabling Search Functionality in Address Bar and New Tab Page
If you want to keep Bing as default search engine in Internet Explorer but want to remove Search box from New Tab page, follow these simple steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer web browser and click on Tools icon present at the end of the toolbar. You can also press "Alt+X" keys together to open it.
2. Now click on "Manage add-ons" option present in Tools menu. It'll open add-ons manager window.
3. Now click on "Search Providers" link present in left-sidebar and then uncheck/disable the option "Search in the address bar and the search box on the new tab page".
4. Click on close button and it'll immediately remove the Search box from New Tab page.
Please keep in mind that this method will disable the built-in search functionality of the address bar.
METHOD 2: By Settings a Different Search Engine as Default
If you don't want to use above mentioned method, you can set a different search engine as default to get rid of the Search box on New Tab page:
1. Open Internet Explorer and click on the small down arrow present in the address bar. It'll show the URL suggestions list.
2. Now click on the "Add" button given at the bottom-right corner of the list.
3. It'll open IE Gallery page. Now click on any desired search engine and then click on "Add to Internet Explorer" button.
4. It'll ask for the confirmation, enable the option "Make this my default search provider" and then click on "Add" button.
That's it. It'll immediately set the new search engine as default and the Search box will be removed from the New Tab page in Internet Explorer.
The second method will work for search engines which don't have support for this new functionality in IE to show Search box on New Tab page. Currently only Bing supports this functionality. In future more search engines will add support for their Search box on New Tab page in Internet Explorer.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Norton 360 Security Suite 6.0 Free Beta
- Hidden Thumbnail Switch to Toggle Between Windows 8 Start Screen and Desktop Applications
- Google Introduces “Me on the Web” Feature to Alert You When Your Personal Information Gets Published Online
- [Tip] How to Restart Mozilla Firefox With All Opened Tabs
- How to Disable “Homegroup” Feature in Windows 7 and Later?
- Transform Windows Vista into Windows 7 without using Customization Pack