How to Clear Location History of Desktop Background List in Windows Vista and Later
If you are using Windows Vista or later and want to remove the "Location" history from "Desktop Background" list, then this trick is for you.
In Windows Vista and later, you can change the Desktop Wallpaper by right-clicking on Desktop and selecting "Personalize" option and then click on "Desktop Background" option and there you can apply your desired wallpaper by selecting the image using "Browse" button or by selecting an image from the given list.
But whenever you browse a folder for selecting your desired wallpaper, its path is stored in "Location" drop-down box and everyone can see and use that path as shown in following screenshot:
If you want to clear the entire location history or want to remove any particular folder path from the list, you can follow these simple steps:
1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now go to following key:
2. In right-side pane, you'll see all directory paths listed. Simply select the desired key associated with the path which you want to remove and delete it.
NOTE: In newer Windows versions such as Windows 8, you'll see strings with the name ID0, ID1, ID2, etc having random letters and numbers in their values. Just delete all those strings to clear location history in personalization window.
3. That's it. It'll immediately remove that folder from the history list. Now you can check the Desktop Background list and your deleted path will not be present there.
If you want to clear the whole location history, delete all existing keys from right-side pane.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Enable Hidden Secret Folder View Animation in Windows 7 Explorer
- How to Get Iconized Favorites Bar in Internet Explorer? Only Show Icons and No Titles for Links
- Create Your E-Mail ID at India.com Domain for Free
- How to Restrict Users from Changing Desktop Wallpaper in Windows?
- Put Aero Glass Effect in Command Prompt in Windows Vista and 7
- [Tip] Enable or Disable Windows Update Notifications in ESET NOD32 Antivirus