[Version 1] Customizing RUN Dialog Box in Windows XP Using Resource Hacker
We regularly use RUN dialog box in Windows to launch programs, system tools, etc. Today in this tutorial, we'll tell you how to customize the UI of RUN dialog box.
Following is a screenshot of RUN dialog box which you'll get after applying this tutorial:
Just follow these simple steps:
1. Download the Mickey Mouse BMP file and progress AVI file using following link:
2. Open shell32.dll file present in C:\Windows\System32 folder using Resource Hacker.
3. Add the BITMAP and give it name 405 (You can give any name but this is what I gave in my Shell32.dll file, You have to give it same if you want to copy the same code as I'm posting here).
4. Add the AVI and give it name 111.
5. Now go to Dialog -> 1003 -> 1033 and replace existing code with the following code:
1003 DIALOGEX 0, 0, 432, 245
STYLE DS_FIXEDSYS | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_NOIDLEMSG | DS_CONTEXTHELP | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CAPTION "Run Dialog Box Customized by Vishal Gupta"
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
FONT 8, "MS SHELL DLG"
CONTROL "", 12298, COMBOBOX, CBS_SIMPLE | CBS_AUTOHSCROLL | CBS_DISABLENOSCROLL | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP, 218, 95, 182, 13
CONTROL "&Go", 1, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 247, 117, 50, 14
CONTROL "&Locate...", 12288, BUTTON, BS_PUSHBUTTON | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP, 309, 117, 50, 14
CONTROL 405, 0, STATIC, SS_BITMAP | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_GROUP, 0, 0, 208, 122
CONTROL "#111", 0, "SysAnimate32", ACS_CENTER | ACS_TRANSPARENT | ACS_AUTOPLAY | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 200, 35, 133, 9
CONTROL "", 0, "SysDateTimePick32", DTS_LONGDATEFORMAT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 170, 206, 130, 14
CONTROL "", 0, "SysDateTimePick32", DTS_SHORTDATEFORMAT | DTS_UPDOWN | DTS_TIMEFORMAT | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE, 330, 206, 60, 14
6. Now compile the script and save the file.
NOTE 1: If you are facing problems while saving the file after editing in resource hacker, then make sure you have disabled WFP (Windows File Protection) service using WFP Patcher or use Replacer to replace the file.
NOTE 2: If you get "Cannot create file" error message while saving the file, please check following tutorial:
Posted in: Windows XP
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [FIX] Windows Explorer Doesn’t Show Thumbnail Previews in Windows Vista and Later
- Universal Extractor: Decompress and Extract Files from Any Type of Archive or Installer
- Xmarks Bookmark Sync: Must Have Extension for All Web Browsers
- Download “Windows Server 2008 Workstation Converter” to Make Server 2008 Look and Work Like Windows Vista
- Download Free Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool from Microsoft
- Registry Tweak to Force Automatic Restart in Windows 8 After Installing Important Updates