[Fix] Mouse Pointer Freezes, Lags or Other Problems While Playing Games in Windows 8.1
It seems there are 2 major problems in Windows 8.1 which many people are facing. One problem is related to fonts on screen where the text looks blurry and hard to read. This problem has been addressed in following topic:
The other problem is related to games. Many Windows 8.1 users have reported about mouse pointer related issues while playing certain games such as Call of Duty, Counter Strike, Hitman, Half Life and Tomb Raider. Sometimes the mouse pointer freezes or lags when the user tries to play games in Windows 8.1. It doesn't matter how much RAM or how advanced processor your computer system has, the mouse pointer always stutters while playing some selected games in Windows 8.1.
Many times some Windows 8.1 users also notice that the mouse pointer is either very large or very small in certain games compared to the default size of mouse pointer in other places such as Desktop, Explorer, etc.
Both of these problems occur due to some newly introduced features in Windows 8.1 such as changes in mouse input processing and bitmap scaling for certain desktop applications. These new or improved features cause certain games in Windows 8.1 to behave differently compared to previous Windows versions and that's why some users face problems while playing games in Windows 8.1.
If you are also having issues related to mouse pointer while playing games in Windows 8.1, you should try following methods to fix those issues:
METHOD 1: Using Compatibility Options
Running an application or game in compatibility mode is the best and most popular solution to fix various issues in Windows. In this method we'll force the game to run in compatibility mode with display scaling disabled.
1. Right-click on game's shortcut icon and select Properties.
If the game shortcut is present in form of a tile on Start Screen, right-click on the tile and click on "Open file location" option given in bottom bar. It'll open the folder containing game shortcut icon. Now right-click on it and select Properties.
2. Now go to "Compatibility" tab and enable "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option.
3. Apply the changes and try to run the game again. Now you should not face mouse pointer related issues while playing the game.
If problem persists, you can also try to enable other options in compatibility tab such as "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8" or 7 or other previous versions, etc.
METHOD 2: Install Official Hotfix from Microsoft
Microsoft has also released an official hotfix "KB2908279" to fix several mouse pointer related issues while playing games in Windows 8.1.
You can download and install the hotfix using following links:
- Download Game Hotfix for Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
- Download Game Hotfix for Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
- Download Game Hotfix for Windows Server 2012 R2
Install the hotfix and restart your system. It should solve various game related problems in Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Fix “Cannot Open AVI Error” While Updating Spybot S&D or Spyware Doctor?
- Create Direct Shortcut for “Notification Area Icons” in Windows Vista and Later
- Microsoft Re-brands “Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner” to “Microsoft Safety Scanner”
- Enable Hidden Secret “Debug” Menu in Microsoft “Hearts” Game in Windows Vista and 7
- Waiting to Download Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2?
- How to Uninstall New Versions of Internet Explorer Web Browser in Windows?