Whenever you want to modify, delete or replace an existing system file in Windows 2000, XP or Windows Server 2003, you can't do that. Windows shows an error message that the file is already in use.
It happens due to Windows File Protection (WFP) service which runs in background and regularly checks system files integrity. If it finds that a process is trying to modify a system file, it blocks the operation and shows the error message.
But if you are a customization lover, you might face this situation many times while trying to replace or modify system files to change look-n-feel of Windows UI.
Now what to do? One way is to use Replacer software which can be used to replace system files at system startup. But there is another way which is mentioned below.
Today we are going to share a free and portable utility "WFP Switcher" which patches Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003 and disables Windows File Protection (WFP) service so that you can easily modify or replace system files without any problem.
You just need to run the patcher and click on "Patch" button. That's it. It'll disable the WFP service and you'll be able to edit, delete or replace system files on the fly.
The tool also allows you to re-enable WFP service any time if you want.
The official download link is no longer available but you can download it using following alternative link:
NOTE: If your antivirus program detects this tool as a virus, don't worry about it. Its a false positive. Since this software modifies system file in Windows, many antivirus software detect it as a suspicious item.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- [Did You Know] Ultimate List of Windows 8 Bugs and Goof-ups
- [Tip] Add Secret “Purge Memory” Button in Google Chrome Task Manager
- Fix Windows Store, Metro Apps and Microsoft Account Related Problems in Windows 8
- Get Windows Vista DreamScene Feature in Linux
- Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration and Fix Blurred Font and Cursor Hanging Problems in Microsoft Office 2013
- Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10 System Requirements