How to Disable or Remove Annoying Ads from Yahoo! Messenger?
DISCLAIMER: We do not recommend disabling advertisements from 3rd party software. This tutorial was created as per readers requests.
If you are visiting this place that means you are one of those people who are tired of annoying Yahoo! Messenger ads and want to get rid of them. Congratulations, you have come to the right place.
Yahoo! Messenger displays ads in its main window as well as in chat window and webcam window. There are many 3rd party patchers available which claim to remove ads from Yahoo! Messenger but the problem with those patchers is that they don't work with new messenger versions and you need to wait for an updated version of the patcher if you install a new version of Yahoo! Messenger.
Don't worry! If you don't want to use 3rd party patchers but want to remove the ads from Yahoo! Messenger window, here are 2 easy manual methods for you:
- Using Registry Editor
- Using Hosts File
After following any of the 2 methods given in this tutorial, you'll get a similar result as shown in following image:
So without wasting time, lets start the tutorial to disable or remove ads from Yahoo! Messenger window:
Method 1: Using Registry Editor
This method requires editing Windows Registry. It works for almost all Yahoo! Messenger versions. If it doesn't work for you, try the 2nd method given next.
1. Type regedit in RUN or start menu search box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.
2. Now go to following key:
3. In right-side pane, you'll see a DWORD Enable Messenger Ad which would be set to 1.
4. Double-click on it and change its value to 0 as shown in following screenshot:
5. That's it. Start Yahoo! Messenger and you should not see any annoying ad.
PS: If you don't want to edit registry manually and want a ready-made registry script to do the task automatically, download following ZIP file, extract it and run extracted REG file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it:
Method 2: Using Hosts File
If the above method doesn't work for you or you don't want to play with Windows Registry, this 2nd method will definitely work for you. Its very easy to use and works like a charm for all Yahoo! Messenger versions:
1. In this method, you'll need to edit a system file "Hosts". We'll use our exclusive freeware "Host Mechanic" to edit Hosts file.
First download Host Mechanic using following page:
2. Once you download the above mentioned tool, run it. Now enable "127.0.0.1" checkbox and type insider.msg.yahoo.com in Site: text box as shown in following screenshot:
3. Click on "Add to Host" button and close the program.
4. That's it. Start Yahoo! Messenger and you'll not see any annoying ad.
Posted in: Emails & Messengers
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Create Simple Script to Show / Hide File Extensions in Windows
- Backup and Restore Mozilla Firefox Extensions, Themes, Bookmarks, Preferences, Passwords, Cookies, etc Using FEBE
- Get Windows 7’s Advanced “Windows Update” in Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Server 2003 and 2008
- How to Change the Animation Background Color in Windows Vista Progress Dialog Box?
- Find and Listen Bollywood Songs Online for Free using Google Music Search
- [Video] New Features in Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC)