Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Microsoft has released the much awaited Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) final RTM version on Automatic Update and Download Center today. The SP3 RTM was delayed due to a bug in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS).
Windows XP SP3 combines all previous performance, security and stability updates which were released for Windows XP. It also provides some new and enhanced functionality. But it doesn't significantly change Windows XP experience or bring functionality from newer versions of Windows to Windows XP.
The main objective of Windows XP SP3 is to:
- Provide a new baseline for users still deploying Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenience of applying individual updates.
- Fill gaps in the updates users might have missed by declining individual updates when using Automatic Updates, and to deliver updates not made available through Windows Update.
Windows Vista provides the most advanced security and management capability, but for PCs that cannot be upgraded to Windows Vista right now, Windows XP SP3 ensures these PCs have all available updates and allows these PCs to leverage some new Windows Server 2008 capabilities, such as Network Access Protection (NAP).
Windows XP SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases. For example, the service pack includes functionality previously released as updates, such as the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0 and the Microsoft Core XML Services 6.0 (MSXML6).
Microsoft is not adding significant functionality from newer versions of Windows, such as Windows Vista, to Windows XP through XP SP3. For instance, Windows XP SP3 does not include Windows Internet Explorer 7, although Windows XP SP3 does include updates to both Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7, and it will update whichever version is installed on the computer.
Although its available on Automatic Updates, people who want to download the standalone package can use following official link to download SP3:
If you face problems while installing SP3, please check following articles:
- [Fix] Windows XP SP3 (Service Pack 3) Setup Error: Access is Denied, Installation did not Complete
- [Fix] Windows XP SP3 Setup Error: Cannot Update a Checked (Debug) System with a Free (Retail) Version of Service Pack 3
Posted in: Windows XP
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows 7 “Show Desktop” Taskbar Icon in Windows XP and Windows Vista
- [Guide] How to Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8, Windows 7, XP and Vista?
- Download Windows XP “Royale Blue” Theme “Vista Blue Refresh” for Windows Vista
- How to Remove Watermark (Build Number Info) from Desktop in Windows Vista, 7 and Server 2008?
- Google Launches New Social Network “Google+”
- How to Create Removable Media Shortcuts Automatically on Windows Desktop?