When we install Windows XP, there are many services running in background. Among them many services are not important and can be set manual to make your windows running faster.
In this tutorial we'll tell you about the services which can be safely set to MANUAL to speed up Windows XP.
1. Right-click on My Computer icon on desktop and select Manage, it'll open a window, in which go to: Services & Application -> Services. To disable or Set a service to MANUAL, double-click on the service and select the desired option in Startup list box.
2. You can also open the same by going to Administrative Tools and open Computer Management.
NOTE: Always set the service to MANUAL, never disable it. So that whenever windows needs to start a service it can easily start and use it. If you set any service to DISABLED, then windows will not be able to start it and will give ERROR.
So here is the list of services that can be safely set to MANUAL (Many of them may be disabled automatically on some systems):
- Computer Browser
- Distributed Link Tracking Client (If you have NTFS partition, then don't disable it)
- Fast User Switching Capability (removes Switch Users option)
- Indexing service
- Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
- Remote Registry (Always disable it for Security purposes)
- Secondary Logon
- System Restore (If you don't use System Restore)
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service (If you are not in a workgroup network)
- Uninterruptible Power Supply
- Upload Manager
- Wireless Zero Configuration
PS: You can see the details of each service so that you can determine whether it should be disabled or not.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Windows 7 CAD (Ctrl+Alt+Del) Screen in Windows XP
- Registry Tweak to Enable / Activate Aero Glass Theme in Windows Vista and Windows 7 Home Basic Editions
- Customize Windows Vista and 7 Media Center Using Media Center Studio
- How to Enable / Show Menu Bar Permanently in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
- Microsoft Re-brands “Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner” to “Microsoft Safety Scanner”
- [Software Update] CCleaner 4.16 Now Available for Download