As we all know Microsoft has released the final version of Windows XP SP3 to public and its available via Automatic Updates, Windows Updates and Downloads Center.
Earlier we posted about it at following link:
You can download the SP3 from the above mentioned link.
A few people are facing a problem while installing SP3. Whenever they try to install it, Windows shows following error message:
Service Pack 3 setup error. Access is denied.
Service Pack 3 setup error. Service Pack installation did not complete.
If you are also facing the same problem, then follow these simple steps and your problem should be solved:
1. Download and install the SubInACL.msi file from here.
2. Open Notepad and paste following code:
cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
3. Save the file with name "SP3.bat" or "SP3.cmd".
4. Now right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator" option. If you don't get this option, run the bat file directly. It might take some time to complete.
5. After completion, restart your system and now you should be able to install SP3.