[Windows 8] What We Know and What We Need to Know?
We all know that Microsoft's upcoming OS "Windows 8" is currently under testing and Microsoft has released Windows 8 Developer Preview build to public which can be downloaded using following link:
We are regularly posting about new features and tips-n-tricks found in Windows 8 in our exclusive "Windows 8" section but there are people who have some confusions in mind, so today in this topic we are going to clarify all these confusions and list all facts and secrets about Windows 8.
We have divided this article into 2 parts:
- Things We Know about Windows 8
- Things We Need to Know about Windows 8
So lets start our guide:
Things We Know about Windows 8
1. Windows 8 is the upcoming OS from Microsoft and is also known as Windows vNext.
2. Windows 8 will RTM in 2012:
3. Windows 8 will also support Tablet PCs just like Google Android does.
4. Microsoft has added "Up" button in Windows 8 Explorer after receiving lots of complaints from Windows Vista and 7 users:
5. Windows 8 will allow you to integrate your Windows Live ID with the OS. Although it would be optional.
6. Windows 8 will provide an improved version of Windows Basic theme "Aero Lite" for low-end machines.
7. Windows 8 will come with Internet Explorer 10.
8. Windows 8 will come with an excellent "System Restore" feature which will help you in restoring the whole OS easily and quickly.
9. Windows 8 will feature "History Vault" which allows you to backup your important files to another drive.
10. Windows 8 Explorer will provide Office 2010 like Ribbon UI:
Don't worry, you will be able to minimize the ribbon to get more space in window.
11. Windows 8 will feature "Aero Auto-Colorization" which is the ability to automatically configure the color of Aero elements, like the Start Menu, Windows Explorer windows, and the taskbar based on the desktop wallpaper.
12. Windows 8 will also provide SmartScreen File Checking which will serve two purposes – to reactively check the file system and proactively prevent any downloaded applications from running that are unknown to the filter.
13. You'll be able to run Windows 8 from a USB storage device using "Portable Workspace" feature in Windows 8.
14. Windows 8 will feature a new Start Screen which is similar to Windows Phone 7 home screen. It basically shows live tiles of the installed programs in Windows 8.
15. Windows 8 will feature an improved file management dialog box:
16. Windows 8 will support USB 3.0 standard:
17. Windows 8 will come with native Explorer support for mounting ISO and VHD files:
Things We Need to Know about Windows 8
Because of various new features introduced in Windows 8 like Aero Lite theme, Start Screen, etc, many people get confused and start thinking that Windows 8 will not be suitable for normal Desktop PCs and will only support Tablets. That's not correct.
Following points will clear all your confusions and doubts:
1. Many people think that Windows 8 will only provide interface optimized for tablets. That's not true!
Windows 8 will come as a traditional Desktop OS (like Windows Vista and 7) as well as an OS for touch based tablets. So it can be considered as a 2-in-1 OS.
Anyway even if the UI is locked by Microsoft, people will find a way to unlock the locked UI. ;)
2. Many people don't like new "Aero Lite" theme and complain about it. Actually "Aero Lite" is a revised version of "Windows Basic" theme present in Windows Vista and 7.
Windows 8 will come with a refreshing Aero theme just like Windows Vista and 7 but will also provide Aero Lite theme for low-end machines which can't support Aero theme.
That's all for now. We'll update this topic as soon as a new features is added to Windows 8 or people get confused again about something.
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Get Facebook Messenger for Windows and Web Browsers
- How to Enable Good Old Windows Vista and 7 Style Start Menu and Disable Metro UI in Windows 8 Developer Preview?
- [Virus Removal] Is Your Computer Infected with Virus, Spyware or Other Malware?
- Collection of Best Registry Tweaks to Speed Up Your Windows
- Personalization Panel: Change Desktop Wallpaper and Get Aero Glass Transparency in Windows 7 Starter and Home Basic Editions
- [Fix] Internet Connection Not Working Using Mobile Phones or USB Modems in Windows