Windows 8 Gets New Metro Style Logo, Goodbye Windows Flag
There were many rumors lately that Microsoft is going to use a new Windows logo for Windows 8. But now Microsoft has officially confirmed this rumor.
Today at Windows Team Blog, Microsoft announced about new Windows logo which will be used for Microsoft's upcoming OS Windows 8.
According to Microsoft, Windows 8 is a complete reimagination of Windows operating system. The Windows logo is a strong and widely recognized mark. In some ways you can trace the evolution of the Windows logo in parallel with the advancements of the technology used to create logos. From the simple two color version in Windows 1.0 to the intricate and detailed renderings in Windows Vista and Windows 7, each change makes sense in the context in which it was created. As computing capabilities increased, so did the use of that horse power to render more colors, better fonts, and more detailed and life-like 3D visual effects like depth, shadows, and materiality. And what started as a simple "window" to compliment the product name became a flying or waving flag. But if you look back to the origins of the logo you see that it really was meant to be a window.
Following is the brand new Windows 8 logo:
With Windows 8, Microsoft approached the logo redesign with a few key goals on mind:
1. Microsoft wanted the new logo to be both modern and classic by echoing the International Typographic Style (or Swiss design) that has been a great influence on Metro style design philosophy. Using bold flat colors and clean lines and shapes, the new logo has the characteristics of way-finding design systems seen in airports and subways.
2. It was important that the new logo carries Metro principle of being "Authentically Digital". It does not try to emulate faux-industrial design characteristics such as materiality (glass, wood, plastic, etc.). It has motion – aligning with the fast and fluid style you'll find throughout Windows 8.
3. Microsoft's final goal was for the new logo to be humble, yet confident. Welcoming you in with a slight tilt in perspective and when you change your color, the logo changes to reflect you. It is a "Personal" Computer after all.
So what do you think about this new logo? Like it or do you find it too simple? Feel free to share your feedback about this new Windows 8 logo...
Also read: Will Windows 8 be a Good OS for Desktop PCs?
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Hidden Secret “About” Pages and Easter Eggs in Google Chrome
- How to Add Your Name in Desktop Context Menu in Windows 7 and Later?
- How to Enable or Disable Verbose Status Messages in Windows Login Screen?
- [Solution] How to Disable Menubar in Windows Vista and Later Explorer?
- Transform Windows XP into Windows 8 Using “Windows 8 M3 Starter Kit”
- [Fix] How to Remove “Windows has Blocked Some Startup Programs” Notification Message in Windows Vista?