Windows 8 Features New Metro Style “Start Screen” with Live Tiles
As we posted earlier, Microsoft showed first official preview of its upcoming Windows version "Windows 8" aka "Windows vNext" at D9 conference:
After watching the preview video so many times, we were pretty much impressed with the new Start Screen introduced in Windows 8.
New "Start Screen" looks very similar to Windows Phone 7 home screen. It basically shows live tiles of the installed programs in Windows 8.
If you are thinking, what happened to the old Windows Start menu? Its still there and can be used just like Windows Vista and 7.
Actually Windows 8 can be considered as a 2-in-1 OS. It'll come as a traditional Desktop OS (like Windows 7) as well as an OS for touch based tablets.
Windows 8 will also come with Internet Explorer 10 as default web browser which supports this new app mode. So it'll work like a classic app as well as a mobile app with full screen mode and tile based UI.
You can also check following freeware to get Windows 8 Start Screen in Windows XP, Vista or 7:
- Get Windows 8 Start Screen in Windows XP, Vista and 7 Using "Omnimo" Rainmeter Skin Suite
- Mosaic: Get Windows 8 Style Live Tiles with Metro UI on Windows XP, Vista and 7 Desktop
Posted in: Windows 8 / 8.1
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Download Windows 8 “Aero Lite” Border Skin, ViStart Skin and Common Tasks for Windows XP
- How to Restore Caret Browsing Confirmation Prompt in Mozilla Firefox?
- [Fix] Windows Vista Shows BSOD When You Connect iPhone or iPod
- How to Remove New Orange Menu Button from Titlebar and Get Old Menu Bar Back in Mozilla Firefox?
- [Tip] Uninstall Existing Antivirus Programs Using ESET AV Remover
- [Direct Download Links] Genuine Windows 7 RTM with SP1 ISO (32-bit and 64-bit)