Beginner’s Guide to Configure Windows 7 Services
We have posted service guides for Windows XP and Windows Vista in past and now its turn of Windows 7. In this tutorial we'll learn about the services which are not essential and can be safely set to MANUAL to speed up your system:
STEP 1. Right-click on Computer icon on desktop and select Manage, it'll open a new window. Now go to Services & Applications -> Services. You can also open the same from Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Or you can directly open "Services" list by providing services.msc command in RUN or Start Menu search box.
STEP 2. Now you can set the unnecessary services to DISABLED or MANUAL. Just double-click on any service and select the desired option in Startup type list box.
NOTE 1: Always set the service to MANUAL, never disable it, so that whenever Windows needs to start a service, it can easily start and use it. If you set any service to DISABLED, Windows will not be able to start it and will give some error messages.
NOTE 2: You can set Remote Registry service to DISABLED for Security purposes.
Here is a list of services that can be safely set to MANUAL:
- Computer Browser (If your computer is not connected to any network)
- Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (If you don't use Aero glass theme)
- Diagnostic Policy Service
- Distributed Link Tracking Client (If your computer is not connected to any network)
- IP Helper (If you don't use IPv6 connection)
- Offline Files
- Portable Device Enumerator Service
- Print Spooler (If you don't have a Printer)
- Protected Storage
- Remote Registry
- Secondary Logon
- Security Center
- Server (If your computer is not connected to any network)
- Tablet PC Input Service
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (If you are not in a workgroup network)
- Themes ( If you use Windows Classic theme)
- Windows Error Reporting Service
- Windows Media Center Service Launcher
- Windows Search (If you don't use Windows Search feature frequently)
PS: You can see the details of each service to determine whether you should disable it or not.
Posted in: Windows 7
Other similar articles that may interest you
- How to Change “New Tab” Button URL in Mozilla Firefox?
- Add Customized Strings (OEM Information) in System Properties Dialog Box of Windows Vista and Later
- Restarter: Restart Explorer, Uxsms Service and Kill Not Responding Tasks in Windows
- Google Redesigns Gmail Look, Adds New HD Themes, How to Instructions Inside
- How to Re-Download Windows 8 Setup Without Purchasing it Again Using Upgrade Assistant?
- Download Microsoft OneNote 2013 Full Version for Free