We have posted service guides for Windows XP and Windows Vista in past and now its turn of Windows 7. In this tutorial we'll learn about the services which are not essential and can be safely set to MANUAL to speed up your system:
1. Right-click on Computer icon on desktop and select Manage, it'll open a new window. Now go to Services & Applications -> Services. You can also open the same from Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Or you can directly open "Services" list by providing services.msc command in RUN or Start Menu search box.
2. Now you can set the unnecessary services to DISABLED or MANUAL. Just double-click on any service and select the desired option in Startup type list box.
NOTE: Always set the service to MANUAL, never disable it, so that whenever Windows needs to start a service it can easily start and use it. If you set any service to DISABLED, Windows will not be able to start it and will give some error messages.
Here is a list of services that can be safely set to MANUAL:
- Application Experience
- Computer Browser (If your computer is not connected to any network)
- Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (If you don't use Aero theme)
- Diagnostic Policy Service
- Distributed Link Tracking Client
- IP Helper
- Offline Files
- Portable Device Enumerator Service
- Print Spooler (If you don't have Printer)
- Protected Storage
- Remote Registry (Always disable it for Security purposes)
- Secondary Logon
- Security Center
- Server (If your computer is not connected to any network)
- Tablet PC Input Service
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (If you are not in a workgroup network)
- Themes ( If you use Windows Classic theme)
- Windows Error Reporting Service
- Windows Media Center Service Launcher
- Windows Search (If you don't use Windows Search feature frequently)
- Windows Time (If you don't want to update system tray clock time using Internet)
PS: You can see the details of each service to determine whether you should disable it or not.
Other similar articles that may interest you
- Microsoft Releases Update to Support New Currency Symbol for Indian Rupee
- Get Windows 8 Lock Screen Style Date and Time Display on Windows 7 Login Screen
- The Best Method to Hide Files and Folders in Windows Without Using 3rd Party Utilities
- How to Instant Apply Preferences in Mozilla Firefox Without Closing Options Window?
- How to Remove “Send Feedback” Link in Windows 7 Beta?
- How to Adjust Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview Delay Time in Windows 7